1. a movement or position of the hand, arm, body, head, or face that is expressive of an idea, opinion, emotion, etc.: the gestures of an orator; a threatening gesture.
2. the use of such movements to express thought, emotion, etc.
3. any action, courtesy, communication, etc., intended for effect or as a formality; considered expression; demonstration: a gesture of friendship.
–verb (used without object)
4. to make or use a gesture or gestures.
–verb (used with object)
5. to express by a gesture or gestures.
1375–1425; late ME < ML gestūra mode of action, manner, bearing, equiv. to L gest(us) ptp. of gerere to bear, carry on, perform + ūra -ure