Often, this activity occurs out in the persistent world, performed upon a player who is just minding his own business - often a player that is significantly weaker in power, and has no interest in a pvp contest. Often involves multiple people ganging up on one weaker player.
Not to be confused with ambushing or assassinating strategic targets in a structured pvp setting.
"Shit, I just got ganked outside the raid, gimme a minute guys"
"Oh man, I ganked this lowbie DK so hard that he jumped onto a level 1 alt, and now he's spamming at me! He's so pissed, LOL!"
2. vt. (O.L. slang) To gang up on and frag an opponent in an MPG
3. vt. (Am. H-Hop)Character assassination
2. The Blood Brotherhood ganked that PKer hardcore!
3. P-Diddy ain't got no street cred since J-Lo ganked him in Vibe last week.
1. To kill another player using a group of players
2. To kill another player using any means that places the played to be killed at a substantial disadvantage.
Widely popularised following the success of World of Warcraft, the word "gank" comes from "gang kill", used in earlier MMORPGs like Ultima Online. A gang kill occurs when a group (or gang) of players attack a single one and kill him/her with relative ease.
The meaning has now extended to any player kill where the killed player had little chance to avoid death.
"You had no chance to avoid that rogue! Ganked!"
Brad: Wow! That's a really nice spray paint work, Chapelle!
Chapelle: Yup, took me four hours to make.
Brad: How about that? *smacks Chappele over the head with a baseball bat then signs his name on the artwork*
Ya'll just got ganked, bitch!
Tom: Hey Gary, those sure are some slick ass rap lyrics!
Gary: Yeah, I ganked em' off of some guy in accounting.
Tom: Pwnt lulz