A violent career criminal.
A gangster is usually a member of a group who is formed predominantly for engaging in crime as a means to easy profit.
Often represented in popular media as respectful "men of honour" who engage in crime due to societal forces such as poverty. They are confusingly seen as people who live powerful, interesting lives when the opposite is often true.
Contrary to popular belief, gangsters do not live in a world like that represented in popular media. Gangsters live in a paranoid, ultra-violent world that is devoid of humanity. They bash, rob and murder other people in the name of profit.
Gangsters are generally the worst type of criminal as they have chosen crime as a career. This makes any attempt at rehabilitation by the penal system usually a lost cause.
They are typically un-educated, lacking in intellect, and use violence to solve all problems. The race of the gangster is typically a non-issue. Ie, Italian gangsters are not much different from Russian or African gangsters. As they are all of similair upbringings they tend to have the same lack of intellect and impulsive personalities of most criminals.
As gangsters are members of large groups, they can be difficult to prosecute. Witnesses are often intimidated or killed. In addition gangsters may intimidate prison guards, and infiltrate labour unions and other areas of lawful society. People are too scared to do anything about the gangsters for fear of being killed.
Examples of crime engaged in by gangsters:
- Loan Sharking ("Shylocking"). This is where money is lent at exorbitant compound interest rates. Eg a "10 points" loan would be 10% interest compounded weekly ;
- Commercial armed robbery. This is where truck and aeroplane cargo is stolen through sophisticated planning;
- Drug trafficking. Gangsters typically produce the drugs and sell them to low-level "street" drug dealers, which reduces their risk and increases their profit.
- Protection rackets. This is where the gangsters destroy premises and assault workers of illegal industries such as drug dealers, brothel owners and illegal casinos. The owners must pay the gangsters money or risk more violence; as the owners are engaged in illegal activity they cannot go to the police for help. The gangsters then protect the store from themselves and competing gangsters.
- Murder. This is the gangster's "tool of the trade". It is used to solve problems such as outstanding debts, competing gangsters, witnesses to crimes, and to remove members of the gang for various reasons.
Gangsters typically either die young, are incarcerated for long periods of time, or turn state's evidence and testify against their fellow gang members in return for re-location and immunity.
New York Mafia (Gambino Crime Family; John Gotti; Bugsy Siegel), Bloods/Crips, Hell's Angels (Outlaw Motorcycle Gangs)
The Police found two bodies buried under an abandoned Brooklyn parking lot. The deceased allegedly owed large amounts of money to Bronx gangsters as part of a strip-joint shakedown scam.
The bona-fide gangster, accused of murder and labor racketeering, refused to testify at his trial.
There are two types of "gangster":
1) A wannabe thug, often illiterate and an inhabitant of a downtrodden ghetto that hangs around in "gangs"; largely associated with the African-American subculture. These try-hard wanna be "gangstas" attempt to make themselves appear like real criminals by graffiting buildings, smoking/selling drugs and trying to looking all "bad-ass and macho an'-shit, yo". An utter degradation of what true gangsters represent (see below), and street wannabe "gangsta"-types don't hold a candle to what real gangsters are.
2) The *real* gangsters are those behind organised crime; most notably the Mafia. Responsible for blackmarket trade, epsionage, organised beatings/assassinations, etc. "The Godfather" portrays the archtype of true gangsters, showing the brutality of mob beatings, shootings, running rackets and abusing woman, alcohol and everything in between. The real gansters are *not* to be confused with the aforementioned definition, commonly used as it might be.
1) I'm da gangsta in da hood, yo. Bustin' shiznitz an' layin' da cuts straight sittin' on yo ass wiv me Colt 40 and homies, cuttin' back a fat split in me crib, yo.
2) "All right, you just shot 'em both. Now what do you do?"
"Sit down and finish my dinner."
Crip Lover BK 4 Life, you are an IDIOT. The first gangsters were not African-American, they were Italian. There are MILLIONS of white gangsters out there that aren't wankstas any more than your average Crip or Blood is.
Al Capone was a gangster. Tony Soprano is a gangster. Crip Lover BK 4 Life is NOT a gangster. Ja Rule is NOT a gangster.
A gangster is one who participates in organized crime, typically the Mafia; gangsters commit crimes (killing, gambling, drug dealing, prostitution) for money.
A mobster is a gangster.
by anonymous Mar 30, 2003 add a video
What are you talking about? I've never even heard of a black gangster. Gang member, yeah, but not a gansgter. Gangster's, the real ones, are hardcore Italian.
wannabe: "Yo, sup, man, why you gettin all in my crib and face, dawg?!"
gangster: "I prefer that you speak english if you do not want me and my boys to see that you are "six feet under" very soon."
wannabe: "Whatchyo talking about, foo! That be some tight sheet!"
gangster: "very well. you have made your choice. I shall see that you get a proper funeral with the fish, so that you do not disturb me any longer."
(shoots him with a machine gun)
A badass who can give respect and gets respect. A member of the Mafia.
Not to be confused with retards that call themselves gangstas.
by anonymous Jan 30, 2003 add a video
An individual who is a member of an organization that profits through organized crime. Also known as Mobsters. The guys in South Central strapped with guns and carrying large amounts of weed are more commonly known as 'gangbangers', not to be confused with 'gangsters', though both are equally dangerous.
Gangsters/Mobsters:Al Capone, Lucky Luciano, John Gotti.
Gangbangers:Bloods,Crips, most other South Central street fraternities.
Unlike what most people think a gangster is, a gangster is usually a white person in the mob. This term is also synonomyous with mobster. Gangsters usually hate the feds and in the golden days they bootlegged drugs but mainly alcohol and robbed banks. they had massive gunfights and had the nice sedans. Gangstas are the black ones in so cal popular in the early 90's. Even if you are black you must admit that white people are the best criminals.
Bonnie&Clyde, Al Capone, Jon Gotti, Pretty Boy Floyd, all were white and the biggest criminals to ever live. So bloods and crip that bitch.