|57.||Thank You Jerry|
A statement found on several Deadheads' vehicle rear bumpers expressing thanks to the late Jerry Garcia, singer, guitarist, songwriter and icon for the San Francisco roots rock band the Grateful Dead. The Grateful Dead disbanded in December 1995 after the death of Jerry Garcia earlier in the year.
The Grateful Dead are an American institution.
They truly loved to play rock'n'roll music as well as its roots, the band was very devoted to these things.
Thank you Jerry.
|58.||John Hoosier Melonhead|
A nickname that the Columbus, Ohio rock radio station Q-FM-96 has for heartland rocker John Mellencamp, who hails from Indiana, and is therefore a Hoosier. He's been in the business for many years and has scored many hits, particularly in the U.S. and Canada. His first hit was "I Need a Lover Who Won't Drive Me Crazy", hit #1 in the U.S. and Canada with "Jack and Diane", and has scored hit after hit since. His recent album hit the top 5 this year. First he was known as "Johnny Cougar", then "John Cougar", then briefly as "John Mellencamp Cougar", then "John Cougar Mellencamp" for the rest of the 80s, then he dropped the "Cougar" in the 90s. His sound is pretty much a mixture of Stonesy rock with a rural atmosphere and Appalachian folk instrumentation, although Mellencamp has experimented with other styles, too. He's made a number ...more...
1. One of the most amazing indie rock/lo-fi song writers ever. Was in the bands Dinosaur Jr, Sebadoh, Sentridoh, The Folk Implosion, and a solo record. His songs are usually about love, hate, and J. Mascis. Some of his best songs include Brand New Love, Gimmie Indie Rock, Back to Your Heart, and The Freed Pig.
2. Once wrote a song about a girl, and was quoted to say this about it: "She took me back to her apartment, and started playing me all these songs. And all I wanted to do was kiss her. But it didn't happen, and it was never going to happen, so I wrote a really mean song about her. Cause that's ust the kind of guy I am. I'm a passive, aggressive, motherfucker."
3. Hated J. Mascis for a long period of time for kicking him out of Dinosaur Jr. The song "Freed Pig" is about J. In an interview done by pitchforkmedia in 2002, they asked Lou about a story that had been going around about how Kim Deal of The Breeders (and earlier of The Pixies) had played freed pig for J, and he had been so stoned he didn't know the song was about him, so J said he thought it was a great song. Lou's response was, "I would ask her, but it just sounds too good to be true."
4. A bassist, guitarist, and singer.
"Follow what you feel / you alone decide what's real / anyone could be your brand new love / anyone could be a brand new love."(Brand New Love)
"Now you will be free / with no sick people tuggin on your sleeve / your big head has that more room to grow / a glory i will never know / a glory I will never know"(Freed Pig)
"Its a new generation / of electric white-boy blues / C'MON, INDIE ROCK!" (Gimmie Indie Rock)
"Any spot could be the beggining of the brand new tangled web you're spinning / anyone could be your brand new love / any tie that holds can be broken / tear your bitter world to the open / anyone can be your brand new love."
"Lou Barlow is freaking amazing."
An inexplicably up-and-coming harpist, harpsichordist, singer, and songwriter with a very distinctive singing style and a more than eccentric fanbase.
Dane: Just wait until you hear "Bridges and Balloons." It's so deep and moving, and probably my favorite Joanna Newsom song.
James: Wtf, turn that sh** off -- she sounds like a dying cat!
One of the greatest comedians of all time who started out as a folk singer, singing funny songs on stage. Once he became known as a comedian his singing became less and less on stage. Movies include Boondock Saints and The Big One. I'd put him right up there with George Carlin.
"In the very unlikely event...that all four engines fa$il...We'll go straignt into the ground like a fucking dart."-Billy Connolly
The lead singer and guitarist of the folk/indie band Bright Eyes.
Oberst's lyrical genius is often overshadowed by his position as the emo poster boy.
I craft paper dolls of Conor Oberst in my spare time.
The third album made by Soviet born singer Regina Spektor, now living and performing in the U.S.
- Have you listened to the new Regina's Album - Soviet Kitsch?
- New? It was released in 2004, dude!