there is a checklist that each emo kid must complete before she/he can say that she/he is truly "in touch" with her/his emocity:
1. any means of preventing food from entering one's body (including, but not limited to, choosing to eat a raw-only, macrobiotic diet that essentially excludes any foods found in a local grocery store, taking pills for her/his depression which decrease appetite, piercing one's mouth shut with upper and lower labret piercings) such that one's weight never exceeds 90 pounds (for boys it should be under 75)
2. wearing "skinny" fashion jeans that inhibit proper walking by making knee bending an ambitious activity to attempt
3. for guys, their shirts should ALWAYS be too small to fit their girlfriend, or the guy they are fucking on the side
4. emo hair is KEY!: fashion mullets, side parting the hair to the point that specially formulated adhesive glue is required to keep the hair to one side, and fashion rat tails make up the general choices
5. hair must be black or so blonde that it is indistinguishable from white.
6. must drive a vespa (or a car so small that only you and your skinniest friend can fit)
7. wrist bands are also necessary to cover up the so-called "suicide attempt" scars
8. must be in/have been in a band at some point. lyrics must discuss only those topics which make the listener want to kill his/herself.
9. black rimmed glasses or fashion contacts are necessary. if no actual vision problem is present, one emo kid must purposefully hurt the other emo kids vision so a prescription for said glasses can be obtained.
10. must be able to whine incessantly about how much she/he hates her/his life and discuss how hard it is living in their parents' house, eating their parents' food and using their parents' money to buy their emo clothes and band equipment. hating their parents' for being "soooo strict" is also part of the emo code of conduct.
11. writing "lyrics" (suicide notes) during class, in a dark bedroom, or under willow trees on windy days must be done often to prevent any distance from forming between said individual and their soul.
12. sex is NOT an option if you are emo. rubbing your naked bones against anothers' while crying and whispering that this is the "closest you've ever been to someone" is now your version of sex if you are emo.
13. if you don't have a MYSPACE, just give up now, becuase you will NEVER make it in the world of emocity. get a myspace, take 31563486 pictures of yourself in your bedroom (with your $500 digital camera that your parents bought you) and try to look AS SAD AS POSSIBLE! ABSOLUTELY NO SMILING IS ALLOWED! place witty captions under the photo that discuss how "awkward" or "weird" you look in the photo. discard the 31563485 other pictures that were ACTUALLY bad and never speak of them again. pictures taken of yourself from above or in your bathroom mirror are a good start.
14. on the off chance that you ever experience a good time in your life, NEVER show it! this would totally wreck your emo cred that has taken lots of good time to build in the scene!! it's a hard crawl to the top of that emo ladder. just train yourself to sigh and say "god i'm depressed about my girlfriend leaving me" everytime you're about to smile or laugh.
15. talk about how no one understands you (or your friends) but NEVER let anyone who does not fit the emo rules listed above into your group. this would be detrimental to your cred.
16. KILL YOURSELF.
emo kid: "dude, i wish i was dead, just like the kitten i had when i was in grade 2"
|Emo kid videos|
|emo kid images|
COOL EMO KID: doesnt care what ppl think, likes a good band whether they are on mtv or not, and won't stop listening to some band just cuz everyone suddenly 'discovered' them. they do nothing to make ppl feel bad for them, and want no ones sympathy. they give everything a chance before deeming it cool or uncool. and if they want to kill themselves, they do it. they dont shop regularly at hot topic, but dont' completely disregard it. if there's something they want to buy, they go for it, and dont deny they bought it there. most of what they wear is from hand me downs, a garbage, a thrift shop, or was found. they dress how they want, and never deliberately try to piss ppl off or 'rebel'. if they do something rebellious, it is not just to be rebellious, it is because they want to/believe in doing it. they respect people who dont want to put drugs in their body, but some COOL EMO KIDS do drugs because they feel like itmore...
ANNOYING EMO KID: those kids who regularly max out daddy's credit card at hot topic and tell everyone how depressed they are and that they cut their arms up every night wanting to die (ok...where are the scars?). they only listen to 'underground' bands adn immediately stop when someone they think is popular or preppy starts to listen to them, or they see them on mtv (which they claim never to watch, but they still do). they intentionally do stupid and rebellious things trying to make authority figures mad, thinking it's cool. these people are atte...
A social classification that has been bastardized by scenesters, rich preps, and wannabe goths united. A true emo kid does not label him/herself as being "emo"...often this label is foisted on him or her against the alleged emo kid's will. True emo kids listen to whatever the hell music they feel like, and it is often poetic or expressive. Emo is not a clothing style, cutting your wrists, or being a frequent buyer at Hot Topic. Those who call themselves "emo" are most likely just trying to be "scene" and have really screwed up the genre through wearing generic, borderline gothic clothing that all their sad little friends wear.
FAKE EMO KID tries to be emo because it is "scene" at the moment. Is often rich and frequents expensive stores like Hot Topic to cultivate a flawless emo image. May go so far as to draw fake scars in strategic locations so as to look depressed and suicidal. Claims to listen to indie bands that no one else has heard...and neither has the fake emo kid.
TRUE EMO KID was most likely emo before this was a stupid fad. May shop at hot topic, but only if they actually like the clothing, not because they think it will make them look cool. Probably classified by friends and others as "emo"...the label is often not self-professed in the case of the true emo kid. Doesn't give a shit whether music is mainstream or not...it just has to be artistic.
One who rejects "pop culture" and joins the counter-culture realm. Usually has ideas contrary to popular opinion and seeks to gain a better understanding of life through artistic venues. May appear depressed, have black or red hair, and dress in a way that is contrary to what is popular. Thrift stores, art, coffee shops, underground music, and poetry are usually of great interest. Contrary to popular opinion, though an emo kid may seem depressed, within their own group there is an element of deep understanding and friendship. Emo kids see the world as beautiful, but its inhabitants as lost and depressing.
That good will shirt is so emo.
You guys obviously know nothing about emo people. If you ever actually go to a concert full of emo kids you'd see that..yes, the music has truthful lyrics that are mostly about a person reacting to a sad situation...one that all of us can relate to. But you'd also see that almost everyone there is happy or laughing about something and our bands are usually telling jokes about something or pointing out good things in life. Yes, we dress in band shirts ,jeans and studded wristbands and belts and some of us wear a type of emo-punkish bordering on gothic clothing (Those of you who are familiar with My Chemical Romance know what I mean). Emo kids are not pussies and we're not miserable. We're in touch with our feelings and we're comfortable with the way we feel. We are very in tune with ourselves and with one another (even if we dont know each other)and if you see us with our friends you'd see that we're usually laughing. Yes, we do always look very loving and we are very loving and approachable. We also do not spend our time making fun of others, we respect who they are and leave it at that..maybe you preppies and "real hardcore punks" could learn a few things from us. Oh and by the way, MOST OF US DO NOT WEAR BLACK RIMMED GLASSES ANYMORE! and we're also not all white and extra small bodied either. Update yourselves a little bit.
"As long as there's good music to listen to and good rock concerts to go to, I don't think that any of us should ever feel alone." - Bert (The Used)
A person that supposedly wears huge glasses and baggy pants, but in reality don't. They are in touch with their emotions, and when they are with friends, are usually very happy and laughing. They are not stupid pussies that cut their wrists and write angsty poems. They are sick of seeing rich white suburban kids that have a nice home in New Haven acting like they come from the ghettos of LA. All emo haters are either wiggers (like describes in the last sentence) or trend-obsessed MTV losers. Oh, and here is something for all the immature kids that posted that anti-emo people definitions:
Shut up. The music you listen is mostly about pimps, bitches, and riding on 24's, while the music emo kids listen to actually mean something.
Wigger: yo u suk u emo kid go slit ur wrists
emo kid: No.
wigger: y ur emo
emo kid: Because I don't cry myself to sleep and I don't make stereotypes true.
They dont want to be like everyone else. I personally am sick of seeing wiggers who think they are ghetto, but u dont see me bringing them down. We just like to listen to our music and relate to it. We dont want to bother other people so we deal with it differently..soo whats wrong with that?
the person with the headphones at lunch .. ; They want Love from a relationship not just ASS.
How you can identity an emo kid:
Black, thick framed glasses
An extra small t-shirt/cardigan
Pretty tight pants
Converse All Star shoes/hightops
Possibly a studded belt
Usually carrying around some notebook/poetry book/messenger bag
First of all, emo = emotional.
Your typical emo kid is usually sad, upset, maybe angry and the world. They always talk about heartbreak. Always about misfortunes, and never see the upside to things. In short, emo kids are emotional.
That kid who sits under the tree writing poems about the girlfriend he lost in grade 4.