1) An event of extreme poverty and destitution (formal)
2) A tragedy
3) An individual lacking mental capacity (sarcastic tone)
4) A lack of glamour and excitement in one's mundane life
1) The sordid conditions in the squatter settlements of poverty-struck Madagascar resembled a dry oasis in the depths of the Sahara.
2) Edward is such a wimp without the utmost brain to solve a no-brainer puzzle, he is truly the driest oasis amongst us.
3) Life felt like a repelling chore towards Timothy, a dry oasis of no enthusiasm.