Invented in San Francisco, it is celebrated in many cities across the world due to its simplicity to organize, often all you need to is spread the word about it. In San Francisco and New York participants often number in the thousands. It is usually at the end of the day on the last Friday of every month, at a standard, well-known gathering spot.
Often criticized by motorists as a nuciance, though cyclists criticise back that motorists hog the road, pollute, kill, etc.
No man, I'm going to the Critical Mass to challenge the social norm of owning a car! Me and a few hundred other bike riders are going to be celebrating peaceful transportation. You should come. Everyone should come! No Critical mass? Start one!
1. (noun) In physics, a measurable point at which a reaction becomes self-sustaining or self-increasing without external force
2. (noun) In sex, the moment when an orgasm is inevitable.
3. (noun) An emotional state of a large group of people which reaches a crescendo (such as in an angry mob or in a concert).
4. (noun) In traffic, the state of having too many cars on the road to effectively move.
2. When I was fucking my ho, I had to pull out before critical mass so she wouldn't get pregnant.
3. We'd better pull out the riot gear -- this crowd is reaching critical mass.
4. The Interstate has reached critical mass, it's bumper-to-bumper out there!
"Critical mass" means that it is important for a sufficient number of "minorities" to be enrolled on campus so that they not feel "isolated." When the number of blacks dropped at UC Berkeley following the passage of 209, the opponents of 209 argued that the drop in black enrollment created a "hostile environment" for those enrolled. "Critical mass" theory also means that the remainder of the student body needs to see enough black faces so that they can benefit from "diversity."