when you're in an awkward situation.
when someone says a bad joke and no one laughs.
John: Dude, i cringed when billy told alice she liked him.
Bob: Yeah it was soo awkward. He hates her!
UK slang. An extremely awkward, uncomfortable situation caused by a person, group of people or environment, causing extreme embarrassment. The resultant effect on the surrounding non-cringe people is usually shame, chagrin or vexation or a combination of these.
1. "Mate, I can't believe that Fred was wasted and tried to get with a guy. Absolute cringe."
2. "Mate, I can't believe that Fred got wasted and fell down the stairs naked in front of that girl he fancied. That was cringe. Solid banter though."
2. The epitomy of "cringe": youtube.com/watch?v=g_vqb8jkOOs
relates to a number of things but mainly
1.when someone says something really unfunny and everything goes silent.
2. when someone goes on and on about something which is really boring
3.when someone makes an unwanted comment
(it can be signalled with the lifting of the hand )
person 1: 'tells really unfunny, long boring joke'
person 2:"cringe" 'lifts hand'
The feeling when you've done something really embarassing.
Or when someone else does something embarassing.
"Oh man, i got hammered last night and slept with that really fat girl from college." *cringe*
When something embarrassing happens, you just have to 'cringe'.
Or, if you say you were 'cringing', you were very embarressed.
When a comment or situation makes you either throw up, or chew through the jacket that you are holding up to your face to protect you from this person/tv
I cringe watching the x-factor finallist's trying to sing a deep moving song and the audience laps it all up as if they havent seen it a 458 thousand times before.
American: "hey guys!!"
The general english public: cringe
A socially awkward situation caused by usually the telling of a poor joke, an action people witness (eg crying when drunk), or blurting out a comment that is taboo. A silence follows where the people who witness it feel a deep sense of embaressment for the person but as if they were the ones who had done the embarassing thing.
ie you ''cringe''
1) knock knock
lettuce in....*Awkward silence
2) Man did you see john last night? he got absolutely off his face drunk, called his ex girlfriend begging her to take him back & spent the night crying like a little girl....*cringe
3) everybody is chatting but one voice raises above the rest causing a silence ''i once tasted my own jizz''.