1. To go against forced rules of modern day existence.
2. Not allowing ones thoughts or actions to be hindered by man-made rules.
3. To do whatever one wishes knowing he/she only has one life.
4. To the disregard of everything knowing the laws that abide for self-fulfillment.
5. Understanding that there is a limit of knowledge about life so you should just do whatever it is you want to do.
6. Thinking away from the "norm".
John didn't agree with the life that he was told to live by his parents or society. He counterexisted by doing that which made him happy.