One who believes that the government should not interfere much (if at all) with the economy or a person's privacy. One who believes that a man needs to pull himself up by his own bootstraps, become self-reliant, stop taking taxes and start paying them. One who believes that taxes themselves should be kept to a minimum.
One who believes in a person's right to free speech and religion, one who abhors censorship. One who believes that it is the people who should lead the country, not the government. One who believes that a man deserves his own earnings and the government doesn't need to be taking away chunks of his hard labor.
One who sees people like Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama and can't help but shudder at the thought that either one might actually become the next President, both being extremely horrible choices.
Conservative is a term free from religious and racial associations/prejudices, although often associated with "bigot", something that has nothing to do with conservatism.
All in all, conservatives are the polar opposite of fascists, although they face plenty of name calling despite the fact that the fascists that people are referring to when insulting conservatives had very liberal policies and are only related to conservatives in the sense that they acknowledge the importance of a strong military, because by God if there's a country that needs a strong military, it's America.
Affirmative action is one of the most racist things conceived. It is a policy that, in its existence, basically says that all people who are not white are intellectually inferior to white people and thus, need a helping hand from the government.
"Are you a liberal?"
"Nope. I'd rather think for myself than have the government do it for me."
"So you're a fascist?"
"I just answered that. I said no. I'm a conservative."
"So you're a Christian?"
"Kind of, but what does that have to do with it?"
"Hah! So you're a fascist!"
"No, you're just an idiot."
1) One who espouses a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change.
2) One who believes in less government being better government.
3) One who believes in such "outmoded" ideas as civil liberties (freedom of speech, separation of church and state, right to keep and bear arms, that kind of thing)
4) One for whom the Republican Party no longer truly speaks.
5) a word that today's so-called "conservatives" don't know the definition of.
"Today's so-called 'conservatives' don't even know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It's not a conservative issue at all." -- Barry Goldwater
by Barry Goldwater is turning over in his grave at yo Aug 12, 2003 add a video
If used in a non-political sense, "conservative" simply means "not much."
I'd like a large popcorn with a conservative amount of butter, please.
Despite the misgivings of certain individuals who have an absurdly black/white view of the political spectrum, conservatism does not instantly mean hypocrasy and it certainly is not necessarily far-right in philosophy. Conservatism can be broadly categorised in two areas:
1. Fiscal conservatism. A belief in personal responsibility for finances. Scaling back taxation to allow greater control over individual incomes. Conservative thinking promotes cutbacks in public spending enabling tax breaks to be given to those that are earning, and believes in helping those out of work back into self sufficiency.
2. Social conservatism. Contrary to the fiscal conservatism, social conservatives believe in placing restrictions on personal freedoms, resulting in more government involvement into the daily lives of individuals. This is also known as neo-conservative.
I am a fiscal conservative, but a social liberal.
1) A non argument used by people, egged on by talking heads. Often used in place of an intelligent point.
2) An economic ideology that emphasizes fiscal responsibility: Saving money as opposed to spending it.
3) A political ideology that less is more when in refference to the scale that Government should play in daily life.
4) Not to be confused with neo-conservative or neo con which emphasizes spending, and larger government.
1) You dirty conservative, you ate my baby!
2) The annual budget report angered many conservatives due to the outrageous disparity between the money created, and spent.
3) Mike appreciated a conservative approach to government, less is more.
4) Most true conservatives are deeply bothered by the wave of neo-cons that have come into existance.
Most often members of the Republican Party in America.
Most often known as fucking nuts by the rest of the world.
Ohh, look at me! I'm a tree huggin, baby clubbin liberal! I can read and write! I care about people!
- conservative negative ad on liberals.
1. One who believes in "traditional values" but rejects any debate challenging the conservative definition of what said values are. Conservatives claim to value limited government, but are willing to expand government without limit in order to impose their personal morality on all others.
2. A liberal when it comes to the economy. Though individuals are barred from making various personal choices, businesses may do whatever they want with no repercussions.
3. One who is quite familiar with the concept of "Majority Rules" but is unable to understand the concept of "Minority Rights" (the premise that bars the majority from voting to restrict the rights of the minority).
4. An individual who claims to value the constitution above all else, but in reality is willing to suspend all amendments for any reason related to national security (except for the 2nd).
5. A black-and-white thinker. Conservatives think largely in absolutes, ignoring the various social, cultural, and economic nuances that define an issue.
1. Conservative view: Gay marriage is wrong because the Bible says so and I value the Bible as my personal guiding force. You, a male, may thus not marry your male partner.
2. Conservative view: Though same-sex couples are destroying America, oil speculators may drive up gas prices for their own personal profit; whatever that may do to the economy.
3. Conservative view: George W. Bush won 51% of the vote in 2004. Republicans now have a "mandate" to do whatever they want without considering the opinions of the remaining 49% of Americans.
4. Conservative view: You can be held indefinitely if deemed a potential terrorist without being charged or provided a lawyer, regardless of what the constitution says. A father may keep his loaded handgun within reach of his toddler because of what the constitution can be construed to say.
5. Conservative view: Our schools are underperforming. It must be the teachers. Pay them less.
a person that thinks "less is more" politics wise. Usually quietter when presented with a poll, and prefers to save money rather than spending it. Prefers to allow more freedom law wise (where I've lived and observed). Called Fascists by liberals (apparently). I use parentheses too much don't I? (don't send me your opinions)
That liberal is soooo wrong! He's a fascist.
I am a conservative.