One who believes that the government should not interfere much (if at all) with the economy or a person's privacy. One who believes that a man needs to pull himself up by his own bootstraps, become self-reliant, stop taking taxes and start paying them. One who believes that taxes themselves should be kept to a minimum.
One who believes in a person's right to free speech and religion, one who abhors censorship. One who believes that it is the people who should lead the country, not the government. One who believes that a man deserves his own earnings and the government doesn't need to be taking away chunks of his hard labor.
One who sees people like Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama and can't help but shudder at the thought that either one might actually become the next President, both being extremely horrible choices.
Conservative is a term free from religious and racial associations/prejudices, although often associated with "bigot", something that has nothing to do with conservatism.
All in all, conservatives are the polar opposite of fascists, although they face plenty of name calling despite the fact that the fascists that people are referring to when insulting conservatives had very liberal policies and are only related to conservatives in the sense that they acknowledge the importance of a strong military, because by God if there's a country that needs a strong military, it's America.
Affirmative action is one of the most racist things conceived. It is a policy that, in its existence, basically says that all people who are not white are intellectually inferior to white people and thus, need a helping hand from the government.
"Are you a liberal?"
"Nope. I'd rather think for myself than have the government do it for me."
"So you're a fascist?"
"I just answered that. I said no. I'm a conservative."
"So you're a Christian?"
"Kind of, but what does that have to do with it?"
"Hah! So you're a fascist!"
"No, you're just an idiot."
1) One who espouses a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change.
2) One who believes in less government being better government.
3) One who believes in such "outmoded" ideas as civil liberties (freedom of speech, separation of church and state, right to keep and bear arms, that kind of thing)
4) One for whom the Republican Party no longer truly speaks.
5) a word that today's so-called "conservatives" don't know the definition of.
"Today's so-called 'conservatives' don't even know what the word means. They think I've turned liberal because I believe a woman has a right to an abortion. That's a decision that's up to the pregnant woman, not up to the pope or some do-gooders or the Religious Right. It's not a conservative issue at all." -- Barry Goldwater
If used in a non-political sense, "conservative" simply means "not much."
I'd like a large popcorn with a conservative amount of butter, please.
Despite the misgivings of certain individuals who have an absurdly black/white view of the political spectrum, conservatism does not instantly mean hypocrasy and it certainly is not necessarily far-right in philosophy. Conservatism can be broadly categorised in two areas:
1. Fiscal conservatism. A belief in personal responsibility for finances. Scaling back taxation to allow greater control over individual incomes. Conservative thinking promotes cutbacks in public spending enabling tax breaks to be given to those that are earning, and believes in helping those out of work back into self sufficiency.
2. Social conservatism. Contrary to the fiscal conservatism, social conservatives believe in placing restrictions on personal freedoms, resulting in more government involvement into the daily lives of individuals. This is also known as neo-conservative
I am a fiscal conservative, but a social liberal.
1) A non argument used by people, egged on by talking heads. Often used in place of an intelligent point.
2) An economic ideology that emphasizes fiscal responsibility: Saving money as opposed to spending it.
3) A political ideology that less is more when in refference to the scale that Government should play in daily life.
4) Not to be confused with neo-conservative
or neo con
which emphasizes spending, and larger government.
1) You dirty conservative, you ate my baby!
2) The annual budget report angered many conservatives due to the outrageous disparity between the money created, and spent.
3) Mike appreciated a conservative approach to government, less is more.
4) Most true conservatives are deeply bothered by the wave of neo-cons that have come into existance.
1)A term for people who learn towards the right side of the political spectrum. Like all political idealogies, it has both good and bad points.
2)(In America) A political affliation. Conservatives tend to believe in people taking care of themselves with as little government help as possible. They do not usually believe in social welfare systems. They also tend beleive in a strict interpretation of the Constitution in regard to the powers of the governement. Many but not all conservatives are supportive of the war in Iraq. A large portion of conservatives are Republicans.
Sadly, some conservatives (as with all groups of people) are biased and blindlly accuse liberals and other people they don't like of being "un-american" or not committed to protecting our country from terrorists.
3)a) Careful or cautious about things
b) not given to flamboyancy.
Ex. 1) A group of conservative farmers fought government laws that would regulate the amount of fertilizer they could use per year.
2) The conservative politcal commentator started attacking liberal policies, but his facts were not very good.
3)a) We need to be conservative with our firewood so it doesn't run out.
b) That's a very conservative outfit you're wearing for that job interview.
People who, under the pretext of religion and false "moral truths" perpetuate their greed and gain in a free-market system by exploiting the poor and working to extinguish as many civil liberties as possible. They also typically label pacifists and intellectuals as "freedom haters" and other ridiculous bullshit.
Conservatives are just Nazis without armbands. They wear ties instead of Swastikas but they hate Jews and blacks and homosexuals openly.
Most often members of the Republican Party in America.
Most often known as fucking nuts by the rest of the world.
Ohh, look at me! I'm a tree huggin, baby clubbin liberal! I can read and write! I care about people!
- conservative negative ad on liberals.