1. An intensely beautiful style of singing. It is characterized by flowery, extravagant passages and lots of trills and runs.
2. A coloratura soprano, meaning a soprano who sings the coloratura style.
3. A role in an opera or musical which employs coloratura techniques.
Contrary to popular belief, any properly trained vocalist can sing coloratura--it is not limited to sopranos.
1. "Every Valley Shall Be Exalted" is a coloratura aria.
2. Beverly Sills is a coloratura soprano.
3. The Queen of the Night is a coloratura role.