A polemical term used to describe people from the United States of America. For historic and cultural reasons, people from the States refer to themselves as "Americans", whereas in all of Latin America, the word "américano" refers to anyone from the Americas. Therefore Latin Americans refer to people from the States as "estadounidenses" (United Statians) rather than "americanos".
Due to Americans obliviousness of this issue of transcendence in Latin America, a Chilean group has even written a song that describes American mentality when thinking of Latin America. It is entitled: “Latin America is a town south of the United States.”
Many Latin Americans would like to change the English term "American" to "United Statian" and the word "American" to refer of all people from the Americas (North, South and Central). It is an issue heatedly discussed in many forums on the internet.
Nick: Why do Latin Americans want to call us United Statians?
Jen: I think they´ve got a bit of an inferiority complex, I´ve never had a Canadian challenge my definition of "American".
4th largest city in the US by population, 3rd largest by area.
But that's not important, what is important is this. Houston is a very rainy city but still southern so it usually rrains heavy and only for a few hours at a time. That means that it is the only city in the top 5 cities in the US that you can actually see the clearest, bluest sky, without a hint of smog. It's also a very green city with acres of natural foliage and ground cover that requires virtually no maintinence to grow, just the regular rain fall.
In essence, it's the only city where you can be downtown but still experience the wonder of the Texas Big Sky Country.
Also money, we have a ton of that. It basically rains money in Houston. And all our immigrants are either doctors, nurses, or businessmen (other then the Mexicans and Central Americans). Houstonn is a business town, pure and simple.
L.A. is so depressing, because even the bluest brightest sunny day doesn't even hold a candle to Houston's big blue sky...
Houstonian: I don't care if it is 90 out with 95% humidity, IT'S A DAMN FINE DAY FOR A BALL GAME!!!
Midwood is a neighborhood in the south central part of Brooklyn, New York, about halfway between Prospect Park and Coney Island. It borders neighborhoods like, East Flatbush, Marine Park Sheepshead Bay and Bensonhurst. Over the past twenty years it has turned from an Italian/Irish to a mostly Russian and orthodox Jewish area.
Growing up my block in Midwood was all Americans and now its all Jews ans Russians.
Spanish term for the "Hood". In the U.S it is used as the Latino equivalent of a Ghetto.
1) In Nueva York we call Spanish Harlem "El Barrio"
2) Ghetto- used for African-Americans/Negros/ Blacks/Niggas
Barrio- used for Latinos/Spics/Hispanics
Mamaroneck is the quaint little area that is surrounded by rye, harrison, white plains, scarsdale, larchmont, and the long island sound. One can find anything from 10+ million dollar homes, to ten thousand illegal central americans. Aside from that you can find all types of little shops and condo/co-op living areas, as well as huge nation-wide chains e.g. McDonald's, Blockbuster, Lupita's Grocery Store, etc... They have great grammer schools, although, not many of the adolecent youth seam to reflect this, and an even greater high school. There is a local government who hold elections every year, still, it's a well known fact that you have to be of the lanza blood-line to even run for an office.. non the less, the town has been run, commercially and socially, by a ghost-office holder, Solo, for many years now and who has moved away from the area recently. He still calls the shots and is proud of what he has made of the cute little area by the water known as mamaroneck. Like Keyser Söze he's rarely seen in the area, but if u do catch a glips, call elaine and tell her
"even in the garbage, u can find some spare change... think of mamaroneck as the change.. err-one else is the garbage"
-used by Filipinos for their compatriots in the Philippines and around the world. Filipinos usually refer to themselves informally as Pinoy or some times feminine: Pinay, which is formed by taking the last four letters of the word 'Filipino' and adding the diminutive suffix -y. The word was coined by expatriate Filipino Americans during the 1920s and was later adopted by Filipinos in the Philippines.
-Pinoy is a term of endearment and is rarely used in formal settings. The term is akin to that of a nickname which is used by close family members and friends so that one who uses it somehow already developed some close ties with Filipinos.
-The term especially gained popular currency in the late 1970s in the Philippines when a surge in patriotism made a hit song of Filipino folksinger Heber Bartolome's "Tayo'y mga Pinoy" (We are Filipinos), and later with famous Filipino band Bamboo's "Noy-pi" (Pinoy in reversed syllables).
-In addition to Pinoy, Filipinos also refer themselves as Filipinos and Filipinas, Filipinos for the male gender (masculine), and Filipinas for the female gender (feminine).
* Pinoy Big Brother, a reality TV series
* Pinoy Pop Superstar, a TV singing contest
* Pinoy Dream Academy, a reality TV series
* Pinoy Ako, a musical album
* Pinoy Meets World, a magazine TV program
* 100% Pinoy, a magazine TV program
* Citizen Pinoy, a news TV program
* GMA Pinoy TV, a TV network
* Pinoy Central TV, a TV network
* PinoyExchange, a website
* Pinoy TV Music Lounge, a TV program
This definition if for everybody who stereotypes America.more...
- Just because we have a high obesity rate does not mean every last single person is fat, I'd rather be fat than be starving , I think most normal people would agree
- We are not all stupid, yes there are stupid people but what country doesn't have stupid people, we have most of the elite universities in the world
- We aren't all ignorant, many of us have a desire to travel outside the U.S
- In school they teach us the metric system, and yes I know zero degrees celcius = 32 degrees faranheit
- Anybody who says America deserved 9/11 is heartless and evil, they were innocent people and had nothing to do with the goverment's action
- I know that American means anybody from North, South, or Central America but mainly it means somebody from the U.S because you don't refer to somebody from Brazil as a south american but just as Brazillian to make it more specific
- You can't just sterotype a whole nation and be correct, I could say that in England everyone has bad teeth and drinks tea but that is not true for everybody and it is ignorant which is exactly the same when you try to sterotype Americans
- Also the joke is on the people who are from different countries and sterotype us, I bet you thousands of people from your country come to ours so you are also making fun of your own people