A psychoanalytic term first described by Sigmund Freud. A defense mechanism employed to avoid true emotions. Reaction Formation occurs when person displays the opposite emotions of what he/she is really feeling. The avoidance of pain through psychological defense mechanisms. Can be done subconsciously.
When your girlfriend says, "I can't wait to move back to California." She really means, "I'm going to be completely heartbroken when I leave on December 22nd." By displaying the opposite emotion, she is utilizing reaction formation.
An ailment causing real or imagined nausea, fainting, or dizziness on the part of Victorian women or women of similar delicate sensitivity. The cause is something seen or heard which so offends their modesty, there is no response they are capable of uttering. Typically a matter of sexual or cultural taboo is being violated, such as the mention of a sexual or excretory organ in conversation.
1. When Larry Summers claimed that men may have a greater innate ability in math than women, MIT biologist Nancy Hopkins had the vapors. In her own words she later explained "if I hadn't left, I would've either blacked out or thrown up."
2. The reaction of characters played by Margaret Dumont in the films of the Marx Brothers to something shocking.
The idea that since every man (and his gun) is needed for the common defense of the group, any one man's behavior, short of murder, must be tolerated, even including mild insanity and such serious crimes as rape. (From the Afrikaans voortrekker word 'laager' - a circle of wagons forming a defensive perimeter, as when the days journey was done and the group settled in for the night)
When the cop shot the unarmed perp his buddies closed in with their laager mentality and made a thorough investigation of the facts impossible, intentionally misplacing evidence and confusing investigators.
The aftermath you receive when you reveal your feelings to a girl. The girl doesn't necessarily have to be an lg but this tactic definitely is.
Basically the girl almost completely shuts you off and brings up a level of awkward as a reaction to your feelings. The Lg move can be identified as ignoring your phone calls, one word text replies, and the classic avoiding you.
It's a whole new level when the girl plays stupid or acts oblivious when she obviously knows something is up between you and her.
Can also be referred to as "leading on"
How the lg move can occur:
Boy: I sort have feelings for you
Lg: Oh you like me?
Boy: Is that not obvious? Everybody knows.
Lg: Oh, well I had an idea...
Boy: Eating out? Late night phone calls? Flirting? How could you not tell?
Lg: Oh, I thought you were just really friendly.
The lg will then use a cliché statement to express her disinterest in your feelings and "will" to still remain "good" friends.
This follows up with avoidance, and general replies to your texts like: "sup" "k." "lol" and "busy."
The state of extreme smoothness. Smooth behavior in an individual is usually demonstrated by:
- fluidic movements that may lead you to believe this person has no bones or nervous system
- the complete lack of bodily hair that allows them to avoid wind resistance and retain their cool
- the strict avoidance of any sudden outburst in emotion or reaction to situations that would normally elicit unsmooth behavior
- a self-acknowledgement that they are smoother than every one around them
Note: achieving such a level of smoothness is normally obtained through a process called “smoothing up”.
1) "Hey man, you see that Ray Allen jumpshot?
"Yeah, that was smooth"
2) "Dude, where is Ray Allen, he's been on the bench for like fifteen minutes!"
"Don't worry.. he's just smoothing up."
3) Police Officer: "Sorry Mr Allen, I'm going to have to give you a ticket, you were speeding"
Ray Allen: "That's cool"
Police Officer: "Man you're so smooth"