noun: Military in origin, an official recognition or commendation for good work that is recorded in one's personnel file, specifically one that is a positive influence in a subsequent pay raise or promotion.
"Jones wasn't HR's choice for the new department manager, but the attaboys he got from the customer for that last project convinced the VP to lean on the Personnel weenies on his behalf"
Word given when you do a damn good job!
Man, you busted your ass today!... attaboy
1.A phrase condensed from "that a boy", that is said when one has done a good job on something.
2.A derogatory term used when describing a person who seeks constant affirmation for their work or achievements.
1."Attaboy Jeter! Way to make contact!"
2."He can be a real attaboy, but Pete can be a pretty cool guy sometimes."
A congratulatory phrase uttered from a woman to a man during sexual intercourse. In most cases, the woman is acting for an audience (ie. in-person, recorded, taped).
1. I thought she was enjoying herself but I wasn't sure until she screamed, "Attaboy". Then everyone in the room knew how she really felt.
2. "You like that baby?" - Man
"It feels so good... Attaboy!" - Woman
"Did she just say Attaboy?" - Third party viewer/listener.
Weak managerial tool to attempt to recognize employees for the work they did.
"I'd like to give Mike an attaboy for doing that all by himself."
1. A phrase used by Tom Robinson when something is done well in baseball.
2. Something Tom Robinson calls you when you do something well in baseball.
1. Nice bunt, attaboy!
2. We better have lots of attaboys on this team tonight