A person who believes that out of nothing, nothing created something, that something expanded and cooled to form the universe. Some very small things on one part of the universe came together by complete chance and those things just happened to evolve into larger lifeforms, succeeding in avoiding everything that could have wiped them out, and these larger life-forms happened to evolve into sentient beings with no outside help...right.............
Yes, i am an atheist. I believe that it was complete chance that formed the universe and all the life forms that currently inhabit it, no matter how unlikely that is, so I am curretly desperately searching for ways to prove that the universe is random, but not succeeding.
Any person clever enough to take a stand against inconsistent religious theories and practices and instead live their life independently from alleged divine authority figures and lifestyles which enforce unjustified regulations upon their existence. Atheists generally believe that there is no god- although reasons for this choice of opinion differ, many revolve around logical thinking and lack of scientific proof, which concludes that no such being exists. Just because someone is an atheist does not mean that they do not want to believe in god... it just means that there is no realistic evidence to support any claims of god's existence- and therefore no reason to believe in god itself.
An atheist is a person of logic and sense, independent of religion and it's customs.
The title given to someone when they realize God is just a mythological character.
God does not exist! I know this is true, because Santa would not lie to me. If Santa Claus is an atheist, so am I.
One who does not personally believe in a deity or God. Though some do fully deny the possibility of a God, many simply do not believe in one personally, and accept that others do. A group that faces a lot of discrimination, perhaps the most after Jews
Atheist: Hello, I am an Atheist.
Tolerant Christian: Sup dude.
Intolerant Christian: Demon! Filth! Urchin! You're in denial of the omnipresent, wonderful God!
Tolerant Christian: Dude, please shut up, you're giving us a bad na-
Intolerant Christian: THEY'RE THE REASON THE WORLD SUCKS! THEY HAVE NO MORALS! GOOD THING I'M GOING TO HEAVEN AND FUCKERS LIKE THAT ARE GOING TO HELL!
Atheist: Actually, I do have morals, I believe killing is wrong, and-
Intolerant Christian: OF COURSE KILLING IS WRONG, IT'S IN THE 10 COMMANDMENTS!
Atheist: I don't follow the Bible though, because I actually
believe killing is wrong myself, I don't need to be ordered to by a "deity".
Intolerant Christian: THAT'S IT, I'M BRINGING MY FRIENDS OVER TO LYNCH YOU, MOTHERFUCKER!
Tolerant Christian: ...I hate myself.
Someone who isn't stupid enough, or gullible enough, to believe in magic, or silly creation myths, especially those of certain ancient, backwater desert tribes.
"At my bible study we were studying Genesis and how God created the Earth and the heavens in 7 days."
"Thats just fucking stupid, i'm an atheist, now get the fuck of my porch."
1. Someone who isn't afraid of the concept that there might not be a life after death.
2. Someone who does not bow down to a deity that constantly threatens to burn you alive for not believing in a certain way after said deity created you to believe in an alternate way.
3. Someone who, throughout history, has been the source of ridicule and offensiveness. However, when said atheist ridicules a christian, jew, or muslim they are labeled as offensive and blasphemous.
Christian #1: Hey look it's John the Atheist, let's go make fun of him.
Christian #2: Nah, let's convert him instead.
An atheist is a person who does not believe in the existence of *ANY* god(s). This term is consistently misused in modern society.
- Refusing to worship God doesn't make one an atheist. If one says things like "well God lets this stuff happen, so I don't believe in him...," it demonstrates that one does believe in God, they just choose not to follow him.
- Many self-proclaimed "atheists" actually hate God. Since it is illogical to hate something you profess does not exist, people who hate God cannot by definition be atheists. If your attitude is "well God lets this happen, so screw Him..." then you're not an atheist.
- People who "don't believe in Jesus" aren't atheists, they're just not Christians. Jews don't believe in Jesus either, that doesn't make them atheists.
- People who say "I'll find out when I get there" aren't atheists, they're agnostics.
- People who join a "National Organization of Atheists" are not atheists; if you don't believe something exists, you don't make a society dedicated to not believing it exists. That's nonsense.
There are very few true atheists in the world. Most "atheists" are actually just people with an axe to grind with God.
Normal people who lack a belief in a supreme diety. Just like normal people they can be jerks or be nice, it's really not that interesting.
Atheists are just like you and everyone else and probably do not wish to eat your children, because they do not do that sort of thing despite what your Aunt Samantha says.