Hostility towards people who care about facts and education.
The mentality that truthiness satirizes.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov
The love of wisdom, in so far as the pursuit of happiness. As practiced by the ancient Greeks, philosophy informed one's whole way of life, much akin to modern day Eastern religions such as Buddhism and Taoism.
Hate and attacked by ugly emu chicks and guys with small penises.
"Philosophy majors, fuck them. Nevermind that our whole system of society, science, and government would collapse without the love of wisdom, everybody should be staring at my tiny penis even if they need a microscope. Oh, and worshipping Jesus, cause' my stupid religion involves 100% no knowledge. Can't have philosophy without knowledge."
"Why sir, the rising tide of anti-intellectua examplified in your retarded rhetoric is the reaon why we have intelligent desing in the schools and Bush in the whitehouse."
Inbred Bush supporter:
"Whatever, just make sure I can get my budweiser and a junker to get me to church every Sunday, brainiac."
1) One who belongs to a backwards, archaic religious power structure headed by a group of sexually-repressed pædophiles.
2) A person who believes in fiction, accepts "infallible" authority, and confesses their natural human behaviours to a virgin-worshiping old perv, only to do it all over again the following week and be "forgiven".
3) One who is made to feel guilty for everything he or she has ever done, thought of, or will think of and do in future.
Catholics are highly successful in Second and Third World countries because anywhere there is ignorance, high crime rates, shorter life spans, unwanted pregnancies, lack of birth control, poverty, and anti-intellectualism, the Roman Catholic Church is there 100%! YAY!
A statement or action so arrogant, it could be perceived as sarcastic.
The following quotes and situations involve uses of arrocasm:
"The surge worked."
--George W. Bush
"You're doin' a heckuva job, Brownie!"
--George W. Bush
"To be honest with ya, I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war."
--Joe the Plumber, while reporting from Israel
"Hey guys, you want a story? Come here!"
(Israeli cameramen come over)
"You guys want a good story? Well, I'm not the story. I'm just an average guy."
--Joe the Plumber
"How about Sarah Palin last night, huh?"
--John McCain on the 2008 Vice Presidential Debates
"The fundamentals of the economy are strong."
"What do you expect? A team of mavericks."
1. A principle that the citizenry of a nation decides its government's endeavors.
2. An often noisy and/or militant mob mentality fostering anti-intellectualism, which operates from primitive emotional instincts rather than from civil, substantive disagreement.
1. As a result of the populism shown at yesterday's peaceful protests, we shall seek to come to a more bipartisan agreement on the current House bill.
2. It was pure pandemonium at the nationwide teabagging festivals last week, which included political hacks as guest speakers, conservatives who falsely claimed that liberals were "protesting with them," anarchists who don't understand why we have taxes in the first place, brainwashed individuals who don't realize they actually benefit from the stimulus bill, conspiracy theorists, libertarians who are protesting taxation WITH representation, Calvinists who think colonial Americans were "saints" just because they lived in an earlier time period even though they owned slaves and often came down with syphilis, and attention whores who like to think they're just like these colonial revolutionaries of the 1700s.
In other words, there was much populism.
Describes lifestyle/fashion sensibilities of a subset of American youth—generally urban. Although sometimes ascribed a unique philosophical/aesthetic orientation (or novel lack thereof) hipsterism generally displays characteristics typical of other historical youth cultures. (See: teeny-bopper, hippy, punk, grunge, mod, rocker, goth, and other youth cultures typified by unconventional dress, specific music taste, chronic narcissism, dissociation, delusion, pseudo/anti-intellectualism, and necessarily selective and improbable world-views.) Such youth cultures generally awake—as if from a strange dream—sometime in their mid-thirties, baffled by their own behavior and the origins of several really really poorly done tattoos.
Man, where have you been? There's nothing Ukrainian about Ukrainian Village anymore--its full of hipsters.
Look at this fucking hipster.
When a person who normally spells everything correctly, using proper grammar and punctuation, decides to send messages that heavily use slang, shortened spelling (u instead of you,) and little if any punctuation so the person they are texting will stick around long enough to get to know them.
This is commonly used by men who are trying to get with woman who are attractive, but are not interested in men who come off as nerdy, proper, and useful to society.
ILLITERATED DEFINITION: w3n dey talk l1ke a c00l p3rson
I used the example for illiterated texting in the definition