A college of about 6,000 undergrads in NW Washington, DC. American is consistently ranked in the Top 100 Colleges in the United States (currently #85 by U.S. News & World Report). It has students from all 50 states and 140 countries. Besides George Washington University it is the only university in America chartered by an act of Congress. You won't get your typical "college" experience here, as many students are off campus and involved in outside jobs, internships, etc. in the District of Columbia. American sports a small, though charming and beautiful, campus. Some of the students can be stuck up and talk about how they "got into Harvard, Georgetown, and Columbia, but got a full ride at AU", but overall most of the kids are down to Earth and friendly. Most everyone's politically active/knowledgable, and campus life is generally stimulating. It's a dry campus though, and the RA's/Campus Security can get God-complexes sometimes, so take a shuttle/10 minute walk to the metro and go to Adams Morgan or Georgetown on weekends. Generally though a pretty chill place to go to school.
"Dude did you know Goldie Hawn lost her virginity at American University?"
"Why does AU campus security have segways now?"
"I dunno, but I mean they're already packing it on, what good is obese security?"
The sport that perfectly captures what Americans want in sports: Very little action to cater for the usually non-athletic players, mind-numbing stopping and starting, for the ADD-affected fans, and a whole lot of gayness. It is basically a girl's game(rounders) that has been over-hyped so Americans don't feel stupid. Created, like most American sports, because Americans can't win at any true international team sports. Americans needed a game which required characteristics only Americans had I.e. the ones stated above, so Baseball was born. Definitely a lot better than American "football" though. That definitely takes the cake for the most boring, unpopular, fat boy gay ritual. No American "football" fan can hate on Baseball.boreball sleepball fatball steroidball hot-dog ball
American sports fan: Hey, did you catch the baseball game last night?
TRUE sports fan: No. It must have been a very exciting game. *giggles.* What were the highlights?
American sports fan: Oh, there were Budweiser commercials, and Doritos commercials, and there were some fat spectators fighting....
TRUE sports fan: I'm talking about the game itself. Why did you watch it? Were there any homeruns etc.
American sports fan: Now you know no one watches sports for sports sake, right? We watch for the ads, the cheerleaders..
TRUE sports fan: Only in America.
|3.||Disc Sports History (Frisbee)|
1970's Frisbee Becomes a Sportmore...
Guts, Ultimate, Freestyle, Golf, Distance, Accuracy, MTA, Self Caught Flight, Discathon and Double Disc Court became this sports first events.
There are certain people that stand out when acknowledging who laid the ground work for the transition of playing with the Frisbee as a toy to disc sports. The Healy family (Guts), Tom Kennedy (Ultimate and UPA), Ken Westerfield (Utimate, Freestyle and Canadian Open), Jim Kenner (Freestyle and Canadian Open), Dave Marinni (FPA), Jim Palmeri (AFDO), Tom Schot (Santa Cruz Tournaments), Dan Roddick ( IFA and WFDF), Ed Headrick (Whamo and Disc Golf), Joel Silver (Ultimate). These are people that not only excelled with the Frisbee when it was still considered a toy, but help create the formats and concepts through their own tournaments and or organizations that produced the events and organization of disc sports we see today.
The Canadian Open Frisbee Championships, Toronto Canada (the beginning of Freestyle Competition), American Flying Disc Open (AFDO), Rochester, NY, Octad, New Jersey, International Frisbee Tournament (IFT), Marquette, MI, Santa Cruz Flying Disc Classic, Santa Cruz, California, and the World Frisbee Championships (WFC), held at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California, were the most progressive and trend setting tournaments of that time. These tournaments are where the sport of Frisbee ( disc sports ) really began.
A sport similar in origin to Rugby. As an American, I've played both, and they're both good sports. Football is a complicated game, but here are some examples of rules:more...
11 men on the field at a time (on offense, you need at least 7 people on the line of scrimmage, and a Quarterback to receive the snap to start every play).
Players on offense are broken down into many positions, the main ones are Quarterback, Running back, Full back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, Tackle, Guard, Center.
Players on defense are broken down into 3 levels, Linemen, Linebackers, Defensive Backs. Lineman normally consist of Ends and Tackles. Linebackers usually consist of Inside and Outside Linebackers. Defensive backs usually consist of Cornerbacks and Safeties.
Teams also use kickers and punters on special teams.
The object of football is to advance the ball downfield by passing and running.
There are multiple ways to score, touchdowns (6 points), Point After Conversions (1 point), 2-point conversions (2 points), Field Goals (3 points), and Safeties (2 points).
A touchdown occurs when the ball is advanced to the endzone. After this, a team can elect to kick a point after conversion, or run a play from 2 yards out to try to pick up 2 points.
A Field Goal occurs when a team kicks the ball through the uprights.
A Safety occurs when the defensive team tackles the ball carrier inside their own endzone.
The field is 100 yards long.
The current World Champs are the New England Patriots, though...
1) The sport that, in America, is played by women, children, and homosexuals (Which exsplains why are womens team is 10x better then our mens team) Therfour, In America, it is considered a fag sport.more...
2) Boring sport. The field is huge. Why does this make it boring? It's so huge that 85% of the time, there not even in scoring distance, which meens 85% of the time isn't even worth watching. Quite honestly I don't find kicking a ball back and forth again and again until they finaly get a chance to score (And theres an 5% chance that they actually will score) The goals are a gimick, and the ONLY thing entertaining in this sport ('Cept maybe a really good dive by a goalkeeper)
3) It was invented by women let women play it! It's wasn't even considered a mans sport until a few years after it was invented
4) The only way to get an injury is to fake an injury. The only thing in soccer I would imagine hurting is getting hit in the face with an elbow (I.E. World Cup 2006, when McBride got clobbered)
5) It's only 90 minutes, while an American football game is 4 hours, Therfour to play Football you have to have more stamina than in soccer.
6) Keep in mind that America plays Soccer and most of Europe dosn't play American Football. Who has a right to judge those sports, the Country that plays both or the country that plays only one?
7) What's the deal with the short-shorts and knee-high socks anyway?
8) If Football as known around the world, IT would be the most popu...
A popular American sport that in many small backwater communities is more important than justice and the proper education of the players.
My brother was in a car accident caused by two high school football stars. He got 100 stitches and one eye. They got one year at juvie AFTER football season ends. Damn you american football!
this is the school that costs 40k a year with no benefits.
Reasons not to even walk past the school:
1. there is no football. what kind of college doesnt have football?
2. a school that also is cutting half of the sports teams it hsa left.
3. only sports left are soccer and field hockey
4. the only good food is at mcdonalds
5. public safety will try and pull you over, nobody will stop
6. somehow rush hour lasts from 7am all the way til 1040PM when classes end.
7. AU is the former drug capital of NW DC.
8. They have gone in the last 10 years from a hot party scene to a drug/alcahol free war zone
9. In 2001 the government raided our private residences and stole all the drugs.
10. we all still do drugs
look on the south side of campus
American university used to be awesome