A term used to refer to a Young Urban Professional.
Yuppies generally meet all or most of the following criteria:
1. Generally white males in their 20's and 30's but women and other races are possible.
2. Have college degree(s) or IT certifications.
3. Live within city limits of a major city or at least a town with a very high standard of living. Yuppies either rent expensive town-homes or condominiums or own a house that costs at least 2 times the median selling price of homes in the area.
4. Yuppies are rarely found in the country as Yuppies have a fear of dirt and insects or doing anything that requires manual labor.
5. Insist on driving expensive new cars. Favorites are BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infinity, Range Rover and Acura. Many Yuppies refuse to keep a car more than 2 or 3 years before trading it in for a new model of the same car or something more expensive.
6. Yuppies wear expensive designer clothes
7. Yuppies regard personal appearance above all
8. Yuppies prefer not to get married but most maintain a live in girlfriend/boyfriend/fling.
9. Although Yuppies like to flaunt wealth they are also cheap skates and will not offer to buy friends drinks at bars or pick up the tab at the restaurant.
10. Yuppies usually make a salary that is far higher than the work they do is actually worth.
11. Above all, Yuppies are generally rude to other people and look down on anyone who appears to be "below" them.
That Yuppie just drove up in his BMW, got out his lint comb for his designer shirt before going into the 5 star restaurant with his prissy girlfriend...
Informal for (y)oung (U)rban (P)rofessional, or Yup. turned into yuppie in the 1980's. A term used to describe someone who is young, possibly just out of college, and who has a high-paying job and an affluent lifestyle. Can now be used to describe any rich person who is not modest about their financial status. Yuppiedom (yuppie-dum)is a term used to describe an involvement in being a yuppie.
Yuppie-I'm going to go drive my ferrari to the seafood place for a $500 lobster.
Average person-I'm gonna fuck your wife, take your time with the lobster.
a very arrogant well put together young urban professional who you more than likely will find wearing gucci and prada with a large bank account which they love to brag about. You can find them drinking Starbucks, living in a one bedroom apartment in a city where they will pay 1000-2000 a month for and spending another 3000 a month on their credit cards. They brag about their designer clothes and love to flaunt them , as well as their wealth. They look down upon anyone who isnt as wealthy or high status as they are. Men are likely to be found wearing designer suits, gucci preferably with slicked back or well cut hair. The women will be wearing prada/gucci and fendi. The most arrogant concieted fucks on the planet.
Look at that yuppie flaunting his wealth.
Most of the characters in American Psycho
derived from Young Upcoming Professional, or YUP --> "yuppie" became the natural colloquialisation. Derogatory 80s term to describe a 'new breed' of young, wealthy people, typically successful in business and not afraid to flaunt it in a fashion which particularly irritates non-yuppies.
All people with mobile/cell phones used to get tagged with 'yuppie'; the neo-yuppie is one who thinks they are above mobile phones and thus more infuriating in today's social climate than le olde yuppie from the 80s.
Acronym for Young Urban Professional. Group whose culture blends the hippie/counterculture values of the 60s and the materialistic monetary-based values of the 80s. Usually congregate in Starbuck's, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and a wide variety of vintage clothing boutiques. Includes both moderate Liberals (Majority of yuppies), and moderate Conservatives (smaller group of yuppies), although both the far left and the far right enjoy dissing them.
far left dude: I hate these damn yuppies! They claim to be "artists" and "bohemians", yet their materialistic pursuits embody the very antithesis of the counterculture, and price real "artists" like me out of the neighborhoods they move to!
far right dude: I hate these damn yuppies. I can't stand they flaunt their metrosexuality with their designer labels, lattes, luxury cars, and globally conscious health food stores. It's european-wannabe wimps like them that corrupt America!
These are scared little "professional" brats that hide behind $800,000 homes and their Audi's and Range Rovers. Notice how the home is only $800,000, anyone richer is usually a lot better person. It's the upper middle class ones that act like caramel shitting snobs. They treat restaurant and service people like shit. Eventually someone will kick their ass and they will be humbled.
"I punched that little yuppie in the range rover that pissed on my cornflakes this morning. Then I keyed his car."
Noun: A person who believes that they deserve their high pay much more than anyone else who works just as hard as they do. They have a lot of shiny objects and generally look down upon those who do not have shiny objects, or those with less shiny objects.
Yuppies will move into an area that was once affordable in the city, but they got wind that it was “hip” to live in Wicker Park, or SoHo, or the Teapot District, so they gentrify it.
Gentrify means to make unaffordable for anyone but yuppies.
I have to live in a high crime area and drive a 1983 Celebrity, cuz the yuppies moved into all the good cheap places.
$1000 a month for one room in a hellhole, and the yuppies make fun of my car.
Term coined in the 80s, describing a certain demographic of Young Updwardly-mobile Professional as found in cities and fast-paced business environments.
Yuppies differ from your bog-standard "business man" due to their relatively young age, their blatant arrogance, bloody-minded ambition and the fact that they care more about their work and making money, than the fact that everyone thinks they are a complete twat.
Any of the characters in American Psycho