1. n, an inhabitant of Yonkers, NY
2. v. to live in Yonkers, NY. also YONK, YONKS, YONKED, YONKER, YONKING
3. adj, YONKED descriptor of someone living or the act of living in Yonkers, NY, sometimes used in a pejorative sense.
1. "Mark and Beth are not true yonks. They are originally from Boston."
2. "I have been yonking in Ludlow Park for the last 5 months, and I love it!"
3. "We bought this old house and are re-habbing it--we are so yonked!"
An extrememly long time. (noun)
Dude, I haven't spoken to you in yonks!
British Slang, Measurement of Time;
1) The unit of 'Yonk' is known to be exactly 3 Months and 13 Days.
--> Used to describe a long period since you last saw someone or something. Usually termed 'Yonks' rather than a 'Yonk'.
BOB: "Gee Willy, I haven't seen you for Yonks!"
WILLY: "Yeah, must be about 3 Yonks actually."
a long time
I went out with her for yonks
a very long time, usually a number of years
"I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, been over the edge for yonks, been working me buns off for bands..."
-Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (Speak to Me)
Many years. Ages.
I've been living in New York for yonks now
a long period of time
I waited at the restaurant for him for yonks and yonks
A long time - too long to contemplate!
The quote in Floyd is closer to this: 'I've been mad for fucking years, absolutely years, I've been over the edge for yonks; it's working with bands so long, I think - crikey!'