War of the Worlds was originally a Novel written by H.G. Wells in 1898. It is basically about how the Martians invade the Earth. They use highly advanced technology (advanced for 1898) to crush all human resistance in their path. They are initially successful and use human blood to feed their "red weed" which was plentiful on Mars before the planet started "dying" (motivation for Martians to invade). Eventually, however, the Martians die off when micro organisms make them ill as they are not immune to them (it was described that the Martians had eradicated all mirobes on Mars).
It should be noted that there is a lot of political and social commentary. For example: In the Novel Martians are being compared to the then all mighty British Empire. It also comments on Evolution (comparing the Martians to Humans), and the treatment of "inferior creatures" (it compares the Martians' treatment of Humans to the "Superior Humans'" treatment of animals and "inferior races").
Also, the Novel Wells descibed the possible ways Chemical weapons could be deployed and predicted the coming of Lasers (the Heat-Rays).
War of the Worlds is one of the greatest science fiction novels of all time.
It is interesting to note that the Martians had failed to conquer more than the southern part of England (they only sent ten "space canisters" with only ten "fighting machines").
1) The name of a science-fiction radio series created by Orson Welles, that was infamous because it made people believe there was an alien invasion happening.
2) The name of a movie about aliens trying to invade Earth.
3) The name of a movie that will be released in 2005 starring Tom Cruise about aliens who try to take over Earth.
4) The name of a series that ran for two seasons in the late 1980's to early 1990's, about a government scientist who finds out aliens have come back to recapture the Earth, and along with a Navajo military colonel named Ironhorse, his computer hacker buddy Norton, and his partner Suzanne, they try to stop the aliens. Went all to hell in the second season when the producers killed off half the cast, (including all the visible minorities!) and added more T&A in order to get more ratings.
From the 1988 TV series:
"We've got to stop hurting the aliens!"
Ironhorse: "Hurting the aliens? I don't remember invading their planet!"
1) in 1938 an AM radio broadcast announced that aliens were taking over the country. People didn't realize it was a joke (even though they made it clear in the beginning of it) so there was chaos like, everywhere. People began flooding the streets screaming, kids were pulled out of school, people tried to cross the border. Some people even commited suicide because they thought it was the end of the world.
2) a book written in the late 1800's, it was made into a movie in 2006 or 2007 i think basically about aliens taking over.
j;akdfj;adfj i cant think of an example :] war of the worlds. yupp
An absolutely horrible movie made by Stephen Spielberg. The plot was thrown together in such a crappy fashion that you really can't follow it and make any sense of it if you don't read the book.
War of The Worlds was the shittiest movie I ever saw.