An urban legend that popularizes the belief that one can get "high" or "trip" by licking a specific or even *any* variety of toad.more...
In reality there are no toads that will cause any person or animal to get "high" by licking them.
There are however some species of toads known as "psychoactive toads" that produce a very powerful psychedelic tryptamine in their venom called 5-MeO-DMT (a close relative to DMT). A very common species is the American Colorado River Toad, Bufo alvarius.
One cannot ingest the 5-MeO-DMT by licking a psychoactive toad; it would be destroyed in the stomach. Furthermore, there are many toxins present in psychoactive toad venom that could cause the person to become very sick or even die. One should *never* touch a psychoactive with bare skin, let alone lick it.
The venom *can* be ingested by "milking" the toad. For Bufo alvarius, this is typically done by holding the toad with a gloved hand and stroking its skin with something like a glass stir road. The venom is then rubbed and collected onto a glass plate. After milking, the venom is left to sit out and dry completely. After drying, the dried venom is scraped into a mortar and pestle where it is ground into a fine powder. The powder is then *smoked* using a glass pipe (similar to DMT). Burning the venom destroys the majority of the harmful toxins present, but leaves the 5-MeO-DMT molecules intact, where they can be absorbed into the bloodstream via the lungs. After a toad is milked, it can...