1. A word that means the same, or almost the same, as another word in the same language, either in all of its uses or in a specific context.
2. a word or expression that is used as another name for something in some styles of speaking or writing or to emphasize a specific aspect or association.
3. A duplicate taxonomic name that has been rejected or replaced.
1. Examples of synonyms in this sense are "environment" and "surroundings" and the verbs "tear" and "rip."
2. Examples include "Gotham" and "New York."
One of the functions most missing in Urbandictionary.com
In internerd language, there even is a synonym for 'synonym' on websites. These computer-created 'content-synonyms' are called 'see also's.
word meaning similar to another word
large is a synonyms to big
A word that has the same meaning as another.
"The English language has a shed-load
is synonymous with Dick
is notorious for it's synomnymity."
George W. Bush's favorite flavor.
"Synonym? That's my favorite flavor! I got a box of Synonym Crunch!"
1: one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses
2 : a word or phrase that by association is held to embody something (as a concept or quality)
<a tyrant whose name has become a synonym for oppression>
A word you use when you don't know how to spell the first one.
Can't spell supercalifragilistic? Well too bad, there are no synonyms!