1. A word that means the same, or almost the same, as another word in the same language, either in all of its uses or in a specific context.
2. a word or expression that is used as another name for something in some styles of speaking or writing or to emphasize a specific aspect or association.
3. A duplicate taxonomic name that has been rejected or replaced.
1. Examples of synonyms in this sense are "environment" and "surroundings" and the verbs "tear" and "rip."
2. Examples include "Gotham" and "New York."
2 : a word or phrase that by association is held to embody something (as a concept or quality)