2. To play so amazingly fast on guitar you almost destroy it's strings.
"Shredding" as it is known is limited to the "True" Musicians and as such is not known to shitty Bands/Musicians of lesser talent, IE. Nu-Metal does not, can not and will not ever have shredding present in it's down-tuned watered down style of crap called "music".
The board of directors at MTV decided that learning to "shred", as it were, took too much time, patience, and work to do correctly, and thus was banned in early 1992, in favor of more lucrative cookie cutter style bands, with a higher turnover rate.
MTV Exec 2: "Yes, but look here. In the time it takes to teach one guy how to shred well, we can raise and kill off four three-chord bands, OR seventeen boy-bands!"
MTV Exec 1: "Well holy shit on rye, Steve! Who needs shred anyways?"
1. music: to play distorted electric lead guitar in a manner which is at once so extremely cogent and rapid that listener experiences the sensation that the production of the sound should be impossible or nearly impossible.
2. surfing: performing a series of cutbacks requiring seemingly impossible adeptness.
3. going every-which-way at once
see also: hair metal, stripper girl, underage girl, UTI, the sunset strip
alternate form: bloodshred
or just plain old:
I don't even care, I'll take the fat one. Shred!!!!!!!
2. To skate, snowboard, surf or BMX aggressively.
3. A form of longboard surfing which breaks the wave being 'shredded'