Compared to directors and actors, screenwriters are way down in the food chain of fame, recognition, and money.
"You don't know?!? Look up urbandictionary!"
"Not found. WHAT THE FUCK IS A SCREENWRITER?!?!?"
1. That guy who works as a receptionist and has been doing so for years. He keeps telling you about this killer idea he's working on, but you've never seen a single page.
2. Any idiot who failed English in high school or college.
3. A career track at an institution of higher learning like USC, UCLA, or CMU. Usually taught by a 'working professional' who sold one script about a hero dog who saves his owner. Ironically, the cost of tuition far exceeds what most people will make as a career screenwriter.
4. Anyone with an opinion about a movie who believes they could do better if given the chance.
5. Anyone with access to word processing software.
Screenwriters need to realize that scripts are kinda like assholes: everyone's got at least one.