"Well yes, she is rather preppy"
They are two different groups. Public school preps (PSP) have a tendency to "need" to point out to others they are popular while in high school. Where an old school prep (OSP) is concerned with family pride and life style that lasts into adulthood and until they die. True the OSP made say something not nice BUT they are polite most of the time. PSP often are rude to others. Want to get back at a PSP? Tell them they are not OPS which is what they are imitating whether they realize it or not. When they say they are, ask them when their family arrive in America was it over 200 years ago? Or when the last time they went sailing?
Preppy is slang for preparatory school. A pubic high school, though provides a good education, is not prep-school where students take college level classes. There should be two different names for old school prep (OSP) and public school prep (PSP).
To find out if somebody is a true prep they must have these qualities-
1. They are old money
2. live in places such as nyc,palm beach,virginia,kentucky,pennsylvania,mass., and conneticut and some rich areas of texas.
3. summer- on the coast of maine,fishers island, or any foreign country...the hamptons, cape cod and nantucket have become too new money and are no longer prep.
4.preps wear gucci loafers,barbour jackets,wear pearls, tiffanys jewelry,wear ribbon belts, rainbow flip flops or any flip flops,wear lacoste or lilly, rl polo has become too cheap, wear j-crew pants, rl cable knit sweaters,ribbons in their hair,not veyr much makeup,jack rogers shoes, and wear sevens or citizens jeans.
5. preps do not go to malls and if they do the only place they hit is saks, neimans or nords (those are last resort) and always hit bendels and bergs and c-orrico
6.preps ALWAYS attend boarding schools such at foxcroft,deerfield,miss porters,middlesex,taft,hotchkiss,episcopal,kent, or saint pauls.
7. preps always are from a long line of preps that have race horses that run in the kentucky derby etc.
8. preps also play sports such as lacrosse,field hockey,golf,tennis,polo, and they ride.
9. preps are always nice people.
Girls: a daily outfit; polo shirt with collar popped and a plaid mini and eliza b flip flops, not to mention tiffany jewlrey
Guys: a daily outfit; polo shirt with collar popped and plaid shorts with birkenstoks
1. wear trashy clothes
2. show too much clevage
3. except an engagment ring that doesn't come in a turquoise box
4. go anywhere without a ribbon handy
Classic Prep: always summering in the hamptons or the vinyard. Plays golf, lacrosse, field hockey, or soccer.
The New Prep: summering wherever they want but always end up having a good time. Shop at all the cutest stores but only but what is concidered preppy. Play field hockey, lacrosse or soccer ; but the occasional golfer.