Person 2: Lets go get blitzed in O-Town
You know all about those Oriental Girls
Are you going to the Oriental market?
Incorrect usage: Is that dude oriental?
Orientals are known to be bad drivers.
Comes from the Latin, "Oriens" = east.
Anything east of Europe is Oriental in the Euro-centric mind. That's why Oriental Rugs come from the Persia, not China.
Oriental is associated with European colonialism in China. Especially a British image of China as once great race, but declined and vulnerable to colonization and subjugation. Negro, Coon, and Mic share similar connotations.
US Person: You shouldn't call them Oriental. You should call them Asian.
UK Person: But they're Japanese. They aren't Indian. They're Oriental.
US Person: Rugs are Oriental. People are not.
UK Person: YOU are a rug. Learn more about the English language outside of your stupid country.
2. There are groceries and restaurants that specialize in East Asian food. Many of them use the word "Oriental" on their signs, so apparently they don't see that word as a racial slam, do they?
3. Rugs made in Iran or India are still called "Oriental rugs". They are nice, huge, heavy and expensive.
4. There's been an Oriental presence and influence in America for a long time. There are Chinatowns, Japanese-American communities, Vietnamese neighborhoods and Korean neighborhoods on the West Coast states (especially California) and they have been in America for over 160 years. Like all ethnic groups here they have played an important role in making the U.S.A. the great nation that it is today.
5. Also in the Pacific West coast states the Native American peoples have oral traditions detailing of contact with Oriental people long ago. The travellers were probably Chinese, Japanese and others. Relations with those visitors were pretty good.
6. Oriental nations have given the world many contribution in the fields of sciences, arts, military strategy, medicine and more.
The Oriental rugs were imported from China.