Similar to r u serious, used when someone makes an assertion that you don't agree with or dont know anything about.
What you just said was the dumbest shit I've ever read.
Internet slang, short for "Oh, really?". Used in the following ways; often sarcastic:
1. In response to someone who has said/pointed out something very obvious
2. In response to someone who has insulted you or has aggressively disagreed with you
3. In response to a boring, nerdy comment you don't understand or care about (i.e. a peice of trivia)
4. In response to a comment that seems hard to believe or a lie
Occasionally some will respond to an "O rly?" comment with "ya rly" or "rly", but this is lame
and not recommended.
1. A: Dude! Did you see this? There's an eye on the pyramid on the back of all these dollar bills!
B: O rly?
2. A: You're a fucking loser, A Cinderella Story was a shitty movie.
B: O rly.
3. A: Yes, but did you all know that the word "catapult" is of Hungarian and French origin and roughly translates to blah blah blah......
B: o rly?
4. A: My aunt is friends with Lindsay Lohan's agent's sister, and she's said that Lindz is totally not a cokehead, so stfu
B: O RLY?
An Internet term mainly used in games that is substituted for "Oh, Really?"
Person #1: I defeated the monster.
Person #2: orly
Sarcasm meaning feigning interest. See o rly owl
jane: oh so i went to the mall and saw heather there and she bought the exact same sweater i had on yesterday.
tom: O RLY?
A phrase coined on the internet; mainly used to indicate sarcasm or acknowledgement of obviousness. Synonymous with a white snow owl.
"You know, Inspector Gadget sure has a lot of gadgets."
Should be proceeded/answered with "Yarly", yeah really.
Orly owls on ytmnd.com would be good to familiarize yourself with.
All your base are belong to us.
Orly owl used ORLY? attack!
Orly owl 2 used YARLY! attack! It's super effective!
Orly owl fainted!
Orly owl 2 gained 1337 exp.
What owls say when they require clarification of a previous comment.
Person: The USA should not have invaded Iraq as they only did this for the purposes of acquiring access to oil supplies. Other countries such as North Korea are far more secretive and uncontrolled as far as nuclear power are concerned, but they have no oil, so clearly their nuclear capabilities and human rights abuses are irrelevant.
Owl: o rly?
The call of the common Surprised Owl of Internet Land. The Surprised Owl lives in a symbiotic relationship with another species, unlike many of it's real world counterparts. The Surprised Owl depends on the call of rarer Unflappable Owl and vice versa to provide mutual acknowlegdement of each others existance, thus reafirming the fact that they continue to exist, and thus perpetuating their existance. For if either owl fails to respond, the other will soon perish and upset the delicate balance that exists in Internet Cliche Kingdom.
The response is not due to inherent lameness but rather through necessity. Many believe in the exist of other owls, especially the Proper Owl, but scientists have continued to discount all evidence.
Suprised Owl: O rly!?
Unflappable Owl: Ya rly!