1. Often synonomus with 'geek' when not refering archaicly to a circus performer. A nerd is usualy secluded from mainstream society, intelligence is not as much of an issue as interests or converstional skills. Though it is possible that a nerd is isolated by choice, chosing to avoid those who do not share his or her interests or percieved intellectual ability.
2. An intelligent person shunned or merely chided because of his or her grades or aptitude at certain subjects. Definition 1 and 2 can be true of a person simultaneously.
3. Likely, due to poular media being considered 'nerdy' by those exceptionally low on the cognitive spectrum. Many self delcared 'nerds' roam the streats. With no social obstacles to overcome these are hardly the nerds they try to emulate and often lack even basic levels of nerdlike obsession. At best a more accurate word for these would be "quirky". At worst a definition would be "An unexceptional and socially active person with a passing interest in Video games, Marvel Superheroes, Harry Potter or Star Wars"
4. Anyone who openly admits to liking Manga or Anime. These are not always true nerds but are genrally considered as such.
5. Anyone who plays D&D. No exceptions.
"Hey, did you play the Battlefield 3 beta?"
"No, I'm not really into videogames."
"Oh... Did you see the Alphas Season finale? Gary went all..."
"I don't really like science fiction... not my thing. did you see last nights game?"
"Sorry, I see no point in continuing this conversation."
"I just built a working personal computer out of redstone in Minecraft! It's capable of running Linux or Windows!"
"Yeah I've read every Harry potter book and seen each movie twice! I know, I'm such a nerd!"
"I have a polyresin replica of Harrys Nimbus 2000 on display next to my Alphonse Elric Armor."
"Hey, Want to watch some Fullmetal Alchemist after we get back from the triathlon?"
"Want to spend hours in a basement playing an endless board game? It's like a video game with no graphics!"
December 10, 2010 Urban Word of the Day
One whose IQ exceeds his weight.
by anonymous Jul 23, 2003 add a video
An individual persecuted for his superior skills or intellect, most often by people who fear and envy him.
An 'individual', i.e. a person who does not conform to society's beliefs that all people should follow trends and do what their peers do. Often highly intelligent but socially rejected because of their obesssion with a given subject, usually computers. Unfortunately, nerds seem to have problems breeding, to the detriment of mankind as a whole.
"Nerds are clearly superior to us in every way.. Let's worship them as our Gods"
A stereotypical label used to describe a person that is socially inadequate. A four letter word, but a six figure income.
Think Bill Gates, but typically on a smaller scale.
A person who gains pleasure from amassing large quantities of knowledge about subjects often too detailed or complicated for most other people to be bothered with.
Often mistaken for Geeks, who aspire to become nerds, yet lack the intelligence, and end up giving nerds a bad name due to their poor social skills.
Non-nerds are often scared of nerds, due to their detailed knowledge, and therefore seemingly high levels of intelligence - and subsequently denegrate them as much as possible as often as possible.
Nerds exist covertly within the fabric of society, often choosing to 'nerd it up' in private or in the company of fellow nerds. It is for this reason they are feared the most - unlike geeks, who are easily identified, nerds can only be found out when casual conversation reaches a subject that they like nerding.
Geek: "I am a nerd"
Nerd: "Let's bash this nerd"
Nerd: "That'll teach you to go playing with my tesla coil"
That Nerd is my kind of person!
the group of people who will most likely make a life changing invention that will radically change the world. the computer was invented by a nerd. the macintosh/apple and windows were invetned by nerds. jocks and normal people have no claim to civilization except for being the hard labor. nerds actually do the thinking. so jocks, fuck you, and go eat your steroids
Nerds created almost everything that civilzation needs, such as computers, calculators, windows, etc.