The Wolverine State. The capital of the Rust Belt. A Great Lakes state of the Upper Midwest, where the weather changes faster than a NY prostitute. The weather sucks big time. It's too cold for much of the year and too humid in the summer. It is not uncommon in anywhere in Michigan to get some snow in May. It can be 70-degrees one day and in the 50s and rainy the next. The skies are gray with overcast much of the time, making Michigan one of the states with the least amount of sunshine.
It currently ranks 8th in population with almost 10 million people, but will be passed soon by Georgia and North Carolina. Lansing is the capital and Detroit is its largest city. Other important population centers include Grand Rapids, Flint, Kalamazoo-Battle Creek and Ann Arbor. About half of the state lives in the Detroit metro area.
If you think your state has problems, try coming here. Michigan has serious problems and is experiencing a "one state" recession compared to the rest of the U.S., because it is controlled by the corrupt and anitquated labor unions of the auto industry, such as the UAW, and their Democrat money. It has refused to diverisfy its economy by placing all of its economic eggs in this industry alone. This has produced devastating effects: Michigan and Detroit have become the capital of the Rust Belt; the most job losses of any state and the highest unemployment rate as plants close, downsize or move to Mexico; people then move south or file for unemployment or transfer to plants out of state; the nation’s highest number of foreclosures; and a decline in population as people move elsewhere to find work. Things have gotten so bad for many of Michigan’s cities, that Governor Jennifer Granholm initiated a failed “cool cities” initiative to attract young folk back to its cities. It will never work because once Michiganders graduate from college, they usually leave this place. Who could blame them?
Outside its cornfields and declining Rust Belt cities, Michigan has some nice places, mostly in the far north Lower Peninsula and Upper Peninsula (which should belong to Wisconsin). The state is generally Dull with a capital-D with not much to do. However, Mackinac Island (pronounced MAC-IN-AW)is popular in the summer. Frankenmuth has the world's largest Christmas store and Detroit is only good for going to casinos and bars. OK, so Dearborn (a Detroit suburb) has Greenfield Village and Detroit is four professional sport teams, but the rest of the city is an urban nightmare and should almost be avoided at all costs.
Most Michiganders love to escape their "downstate" urban hell for their cabins or summer homes in Northern Michigan. Northern Michigan is good for hunting, fishing, skiing and going to the lake. Michiganders talk with a funny accent that resembles a northern dialect heard in Wisconsin, Minnesota or Ontario. Michiganders can't drive worth a damb and usually speed on the freeway as if they were in the Indy 500. Other than that, Michiganders have Midwest values and are generally friendly when compared to either coast.
Michigan is generally dull with not many good paying jobs anymore, but it is NOT the worst state to live in compared to those Great Plains States.
1. The state where you can have 70 degrees and sun one day and a snowstorm the next.
2. A state where you can't keep a job because everything's either downsizing or moving to mexico.
Michigan... I'm unemployed and cold... wheeeee!!
a place where your horoscope is correct more often than the weather channel
"independence day fireworks have been canceled due to heavy snow and low visibility"
The state that is shaped like a boxing glove. Makes sense because that state kicks ass. Largest city is Detroit, which is well over 80% black. Is followed in population by Grand Rapids.
Michigan Artists: Kid Rock, Eminem, Taproot, Andrew W.K., lead singer of New Radicals, Madonna.
The state consisting of two seasons; winter and construction.
Nobody should live or pass through Michigan
A.) A fairly decent state to live in, although the lack of jobs.
2.) An excellent college football team that never seems to have a losing season.
D.) Where snow is not a big deal in May.
4.) A place with a decent music scene.
E.) Mexico's biggest fan, seeing as every company decides to move there.
A.) Yeah, Michigan's not bad, except I'm getting laid off next week.
2.) The Michigan Wolverines are number 5. Again.
D.) "Hello, it's May 3rd. today was a beautiful day, 75 and sunny. Tomorrow there's a slight chance of snow and highs in the twenties."
4.) "Did you check out that new band from Grand Rapids, Still Remains?"
"Yeah bro. They're so xmetalx. Woot."
E.)"2,000 jobs will be lost as yet another company moves down to Mexico, where they can pay workers 1/6th what they pay them now."
1. a swing state for presidential elections...yeah, we matter!
2. consists of 2 peninsula's...yes, TWO. the u.p. is equally a part of michigan.
3. is not called the wolverine state because of the presence of wolverines...but because of their commitment and working like "wolverines" during the cold war.
4. state with some sweet colleges.
5. yeah, it's cold, but we like it!
6. we got all great lakes around us. beautiful, beautiful.
7. one word...pistons
8. we got the nimrods.
9. potholes-yes...unemployment? yes...
10. no state can be perfect, there are flaws, but michigan is an awesome state!
1. we vote democratic most of the time though.
2. the u.p. has the best stories.
3. we work hard, & it shows
4. michigan tech, central, concordia, ferris, michigan state, nmu, u of michigan (oldest state college in u.s.)
5. that's why you get complimentary gloves when you enter the lower peninsula.
6. if you stay anywhere in michigan, you are within 85 miles of a great lake.
7. so what if they didn't win the championship, they still got 2nd, they were defending champs and they lost in game 7, GAME 7!!
8. also, the bessemer speedboys and the kingsford flivvers were on the list for espn's high school names.
9. yeah, so what
Best state in the country.