The roots of Mando Diao date back to 1995 when Björn Dixgård was a member of a band called Butler. Band members came and went and four years later the rest of the current line-up decided to take that project more seriously. Björn Dixgård and Gustaf Norén locked themselves up in a summer house and spent 14 months writing songs. The Beatles is their original inspiration source and Björn and Gustav talked all night about it once, Gustav joined right after! The two renamed their band Mando Diao. According to the band, the name Mando Diao has only one meaning, and it appeared to band member Björn Dixgård in a dream.
The now-renamed band made their third public performances in the clubs of their hometown Borlänge in 1999. A local writer described them in an article as the worst unsigned band he had ever seen. This was soon followed by a record deal with EMI Sweden. In 2002 their first album Bring 'Em In was released in Sweden. It contains early demo versions of their songs, partly recorded in the basement of keyboardist Daniel Haglund who left the band later in 2003. In 2003 the album was released internationally, along with their debut single "Sheepdog." As of 2004, the band is hailed enthusiastically by the music press as one of the most sanguine newcomer bands of the year. The album Hurricane Bar was released in 2004. Their third album Ode to Ochrasy was released in 2006. By the end of 2006 the band released a DVD called "Down in the Past". 'Ode to Ochrasy' was released in the UK through the Nettwerk label on 2nd April 2007 in a previously unreleased format including 4 bonus tracks.
Mando Diao have been touring all over the world, though their biggest following is in Germany, Japan and their homeland Sweden. The band supported The Bravery on their tour in 2005, along with Los Angeles band The Colour. On their 2006 European tour, they were supported by Razorlight and Johnossi, and for the British leg of the tour were a joint support act for the Dirty Pretty Things along with Larrikin Love.
At the end of January 2007, Mando Diao was widely exposed in Swedish media because of an incident1 at their live concert on 27th January, 2007. They were performing at the Amplified festival at Norrlands Opera House in Umeå, when a part of the floor the audience was standing on collapsed, leaving at least 25 fans hurt - five people were taken to the hospital with injuries such as broken arms and legs. According to the management of Norrlandsoperan, the hall had been checked, but they had never thought the floor, which was made up by several moveable parts on concrete girders over a three meter deep hole, wouldn't hold the 17 people who were in the room, especially as the fire department had given them okay to let 800 in. After this unfortunate event, Mando Diao stayed around in Umeå in case they could help with anything regarding the hurt fans. They visited the hospitalized fans personally. Mando Diao is planning to hold another concert to make up for what was lost that evening in January 2007.
Mando Diao appeared April 29, 2007 at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival1 and on 7 July, 2007 they performed at the German leg of Live Earth2 in Hamburg.
Mando Diao disappointed a huge amount of fans by cancelling a concert on a music festival in Portugal (Heineken Paredes de Coura) because the lead singer had a flu. Since they were the headliners, all this led to a riot on the festival that caused several injuries.
* "God Knows" was featured on FIFA 06 by EA Sports.
* "Down in the Past" was featured on 2006 Fifa World Cup Germany by EA Sports, and NHL 06 by EA Sports
* "The Wildfire (If It Was True) was featured on NHL 08 by EA Sports.
* "Sheepdog" was featured in E4's teen drama "Skins" (UK)
* On May 25, 2007 they performed their single "Long Before Rock 'n Roll" on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
* "Sweet Ride" was featured in the 2005 film The Ringer
* Bring 'Em In 2002
* Hurricane Bar September 22, 2004
* Ode To Ochrasy August 25, 2006
* Never Seen the Light of Day October 24, 2007
* Long Before Rock 'N' Roll EP 2006 (US)
* German Tour EP 2007 (US)
* 2002 Mr. Moon
* 2002 The Band
* 2003 Sheepdog
* 2004 Clean Town
* 2004 God Knows
* 2004 Paralyzed (UK)
* 2004 Down In The Past
* 2005 You Can't Steal My Love (UK)
* 2005 God Knows
* 2005 You Can't Steal My Love
* 2006 Long Before Rock 'N' Roll
* 2006 Good Morning, Herr Horst
* 2007 TV & Me
* 2007 The Wildfire (If It Was True)
* 2007 Ochrasy
* 2007 If I Don't Live Today,I Might Be Here Tomorrow Never Seen the Light of Day
* Down In The Past (2006)
* "Mr. Moon" (2002/directed by Magnus Härdner, produced by Christoffer Sahlgren)
* "The Band" (2002/directed by Håkan Schüler)
* "Sheepdog" (2003/directed by Pontus Andersson
* "Paralyzed" (2003/directed by Håkan Schüler)
* "Clean Town" (2004/directed by Amir Chamdin)
* "God Knows" (2004/directed by Johan Torell & John Nordqvist)
* "Down In The Past" (2004/directed by Christoffer Diös)
* "You Can't Steal My Love" (2005/directed by Mauricio Molinari)
* "Long Before Rock'n'Roll" (2006/directed by Daniel Eskils)
* "Good Morning, Herr Horst" (2006/directed by Lovisa Inserra)
* "TV & Me" (2006/directed by Kalle Haglund)
* "Wildfire" (2007/directed by Gilly Barnes)
* "Ochrasy" (2007/directed by Lovisa Inserra)
-Yeah and it rocks!