i. A geographical region in the north of Greece; capital, Thessaloniki.
ii. Historical name misused to refer to the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM).
iii. Ancient territory now divided among Greece, Bulgaria and The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM). Propaganda that began as early as the end of the 19th century with the decline of the Ottoman Empire and the formation of ethnic states, promoted the use of the name Macedonia by Greek, Turkish, Bulgarian, Serb and whatever other populaces to give them a coherent ethnic identity, in favor of each country. The collapse of communist Yugoslavia, sparked open controversy as Skopje (the capital of FYROM) made claims on the name "Macedonia" fot their state name and the Star of Vergina (ancient Macedonian symbol) for their flag.
To confront the misinformation supplied above:
1. Macedonians just like Arcadians, Aeolians, Dorians and all the other Greek "tribes" had the same main deities but worshiped their own gods as well. Deities were also introduced into Greek pantheons by Thracians, Frygians and other peoples.
2. Ooookay... Macedonians sat down to eat while other Greeks lied on their sides; on the other hand they were admitted in the Olympic Games that were strictly exclusive to Greek tribes.
3. Greek city-states were warring all the time, Athens vs Sparta being the most known war. Each City-State while growing in power and setting up colonies conflicted with one another. In fact, the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta (that ended with the defeat of Athens) was the reason the two strongest city-states declined in power and left room for a new force to appear.
4. The name Macedon (derived from the greek macednos: he who has long shanks, a tall person) should suffice. Alexander the Great, his father Fillipos, his mother Olympias (daughter of King Pyrros of Epirus) all have Greek names. Also he was educated by Aristotle. His horse's name was Bucephalas (bus --> bull + cephalas (kefali in modern greek) --> head). The new cities he founded all had greek names.
5. Macedonians were in fact hated by other Greeks just as Athenians were hated by other Greeks when they were at their peak (and "owned" almost all the Aegean Isles, not to mention some colonies in Sicily) just as any warring faction hates the other warring faction that has grown in power and away from their reach. When the Macedonians (again I point out that this could be Athenians, Spartans, Fokians and so on) forced the rest of Greece into submission, they fought a major battle against the Persians. The only City-State that wasn't a part of the Greek army was Sparta. So, after the defeat of the Persians, Alexander erected a monument with an inscription that translates roughly into: "go tell the spartans, stranger passing by, that here, obedient to their laws, we lie". This was an epigram By Simonedes Of Kea written in the Ionian dialect. Epigrams (you can look them up in wikipedia) were short inscriptions (literal meaning is "to write upon sthg") that often had an ironic twist. Get the irony in this one is rather obvious.
However, being dirt-poor, with a country in shambles, full of Albanian, Bulgarian and other minorities the FYROM government is feeding people lots of glorious history just because they have nothing else to feed them. This however has never been such a good idea. It has led to a rise in nationalism on both sides, absurd claims (unofficial, for the time being) of "occupied Macedonia" with a notion of the historical Macedonia (that spread in what is now three countries) in mind, and ludicrous claims that modern inhabitants of that bit of land descend straight for the lineage of Alexander the Great which is a blatant lie since claiming a 3000 year-old lineage in the Balkans is a bit far-fetched (since they were not an isolated populace that intermarried) not to mention that Slavic populaces descended in the Balkan peninsula around 600 A.D.
Q: I' ve been in the Peloponnese, Epirus, Crete, the Ionian, literally all over Greece but never Macedonia.
A: You should! It's really beautiful!
A country Tito made up to piss off Greeks and Bulgarians.
Tito: You know what would really piss off those fuckers? If I made a country called Macedonia.
Stalin: LOL, that's awesome!
Beautiful and ancient land, with friendly people. Come and visit it.
I have been in Macedonia last year, and i am coming again in this beautiful land for sure.
A geographical region in the north of Greece. It includes cities like Serres, Katerini and Thessaloniki. Beautiful landscape, homeland of Alexander the Great( the real one, not a slavic barbarian..)
Macedonia became one of the stongest greek kingdoms and conquered the known world of that time.
The home of Alexander the Great, the man who spread Greek culture to the edges of the known world over 300 years before the birth of Christ.
The Birthplace of the Greek tribe of Macedonians, who fought with and against other Greek tribes such as Spartans and Athenians. The home to the first Greek leader to unify all the Greek City states to rule the known world. The home to over two million residents in Modern day Northern Greece, whilst also the home to a slavic race of people to the north in FYROM (The fomer Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia)who linguisticly and culturaly are very close to Bulgarain, if not the same. Not related to the ancient macedonians as the Slavs arived 1000 years after Alexander the Great which by then the poeple identified themselves as Byzantines and the term Macedonia had been lost for hundreds of years.
Hi I`m Macedonian born in Thessaloniki, well I am Peloponesian born in Kalamata and ethnicaly and culturaly we are both Greek.
What so called Macedonians claim to be their land. It is actually northern Greece. For every city in Macedonia is Greek. Alexander the Great did not really come from this country but from Greece. The Ancient Macedonian flag use to be an Ancient Greek symbol which represents the 12 Greek Gods and Goddesses. This symbol had to be changed three times from the controversy it caused. The Ancient Macedonians spoke GREEK!!! THE CITIES ARE GREEK! MACEDONIA IS GREECE!
Alexander the Great even quoted:
"Your ancestors came from Macedonia and the rest of Hellas (Greece) and did us great harm, Though we had done no prior injury. I have been appointed leader of the Greeks, and wanting to punish the Persians I have come to you Asia, Which I took from you..."
This means that Alexander the Great was Greek. Leader of the Greeks.
Greek: Hey have you noticed that all our cities are named after Ancient Greek Names, The flag itself is Greek, Ancient Macedonians use to speak Greek too, and that Alexander the Great claimed he was leader of the Greeks?
Macedonian: So what does that mean?
It’s a Greek Province in which the city of Thessaloniki is capital.
A handful of Slavo-bulgarian-Scopian- Vardaskans have stolen the province name from Greece to name their country Macedonia. The Scopian Government is leading the world to believe that Greek Macedonian is not Greek, but Macedonian.
The Scopians have no proof to prove that they have a direct connection with Ancient Macedonia of Greece and also believe they have a direct connection with Alexander the Great which is by default not true as the Vardaskans (today’s fake Macedonians) appeared in area of Vardaska 5-6 centuries after Alexander the Great.
The Fake Macedonians use extreme propaganda mechanisms without substantiated material and use people’s historical ignorance to persuade that their history is Macedonian and not Greek. Non Greeks of the world and modern scholars have proven that the Fake Macedonian calls are inventions of a greater plan to divide the Balkans into fragments.
Macedonia is a Greek province and FYROM is a Vardaskan original with Slavs who have no direct connection with Greece, Macedonia and its people of Greece. Scopians are of Slav-Bulgarian origins that have neglected their history and are claiming another countries history (Greece) for their own benefits and hidden agenda.
I'm a macedonian from Macedonia..
no you are not... you are a Slav from Bulgaria wanting another countries hisory because TITO created you in 1944.
Located in the center of Balkan Peninsula, Macedonia is ethnic territory compounded from three parts Vardar, Pirin and Aegean Macedoniamore...
Ancient Macedonian tribes were settled on this territory and were united by the first Macedonian king Macedon. The most known Ancient Macedonian kings are King Philip 2nd who achieved to conquer whole Greece (338 BC, Battle of Chaeronea ), and his son Alexander 3rd the Great (or Alexander 3rd the Macedon) who is one of the biggest conquerer in the history of mankind who achieved to invade 75% of the ancient known world (Persia, Egypt,parts from India etc). Soon after his dead his empire falls apart in smaller regions, kingdoms governed by his generals and their dynasties.
Despite the nowadays Greek possessive propaganda there are many evidence why Ancient Macedonians weren't Greeks:
1. They had their own Macedonian language nothing similar to Ancient Greek (the language is the most important mark of one nation)
2. They never were invited to participate the ancient Olympic Games (the only allowed to compete were the Greeks).
3. They had their own religion.
4. Alexander 1st (5 century BC) was was called "phillhellen" which means "friend of the Greek people". He supplied the Greeks with timber which they desperately need it to build fleet to win the war against the Persians.
5. One of the most known Greek orator and statesman Demosthenes in his speeches called "Philipiki" (against the Macedonian King Philip 2) called the Macedo...