1. Largest city on the West Coast and in California (by far) with a population of 4.1 million according to wikipedia.
2. One of the ten alpha world cities ranked by the GaWC and is the most powerful city and richest city on the West Coast.
3. Probably has the most diverse geographic landscape in the country with mountains, beaches, palm trees, deserts, forests, etc. Where else can one lay out on the beach and in the next hour be hiking in the mountains?
4. One of the most ethnically diverse cities in the world, up there with New York City, London, and Toronto.
5. A world class city with plenty of culture- a major center of film, tv, music, science, art, fashion, theater, pop-culture, celebrities, etc. that plays a large role in influencing American culture.
6. A city of extremes from the filthy rich Bel-Air to the dirt-poor Skid Row, all of which are living in the same city.
7. Each community is like its own world in that all of them are so different. Beverly Hills - glamour. Hollywood - young, creative, artsy. Malibu - laid back yet still high maintenance. LA being a sprawling and divided city creates for an extremely diverse environment with many different types of people.
8. Third safest big city in the United States after New York City and San Jose. Los Angeles is mistakenly labeled as the gangster capital of the world. While we certainly have probably the most gangs in our metro area, most of them are located in Compton, NOT part of the City of Los Angeles so it doesn't count. Besides, places like Detroit, Philadelphia, and St. Louis (recently named the most dangerous city in the US) have higher crime rates. LA's crimte rate has been declining over the past couple of years.
9. Smog - yes there is LOTS of smog here. However all cities have smog. Sometimes it is smoggy enough here to fully obstruct the mountains. Sometimes we have crystal clear skies (this week has been very clear).
10. A growing Downtown. Will be much improved in ten years.
11. A growing public transportation system. It only took about twenty years for us to have our current public transit system.
Summary: Los Angeles is a dirty and superficial city. It is actually one of the safest big cities in the US and is the second wealthiest in the US behind New York City. Los Angeles County has the highest number of millionaires in this country. LA is both ugly and beautiful. West Los Angeles (Bel-Air, Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades) is beautiful while East Los Angeles (Highland Park, Lincoln Park, Boyle Heights) is rather ugly. For the most part, LA is not too architecturally beautiful but we do have some great buildings in Downtown and West Los Angeles has some of the most impressive suburban private architecture. LA is a very beautiful city once you take in account its geographic location. LA is a diverse, multi-cultured, global, hip, and trendy city. It's a fascinating place unlike no other. It has great weather. It is located in close proximity to other major destinations (San Diego, Santa Barbara, Las Vegas, Big Bear). It's a multi-facted city. It's not the best city but certainly not the worst.
The world renown Los Angeles logo.
Where It All Happens
Cloudy day in LA
Nice View of Los Angeles
And another one
Day of the Dead festival at the bridge going to Downtown.
East Los Angeles
Yeah, bitch.....Eastern Los Angeles, man!
LA as seen from the freeway
Los Angeles as seen from Hollywood...nasty pollution
Los Angeles - Downtow
A Typical Los Angeles Gas Station
LA has about a billion suburbs that are essentially considered part of Los Angeles as a single city, although the city itself has only a population of some 3.7 million. Los Angeles is notorious for smog and gang-related crime; seperate inner-city working-class suburbs such as Compton or Long Beach have been made the subject of rap songs talking about the crime levels that have gained some notoriety and earned LA one of it's less-enviable titles as "the Gang Capital of the World".
Fortunately, the beautiful Pacific coastline and the numerous beaches and tropical climate offset some of the not-so-good parts of the city. LA also has an awesome music scene, a great clubbing sector, and countless appreciative cultural institutions such as the Getty Museum to visit that provide the city with a depth, culture and history that are enviable. It's an awesome city. Watch out for the traffic though.
Me: Have you ever been there
Person who has never been to Los Angeles: No but I saw Training Day
Me: Die please
2. The city that represents California to the rest of the country. In reality, Los Angeles is as dissimilar as it is possible to be from the rest of the state.
3. An amazing city that is resented by people in most other parts of the country for assorted reasons. Supposedly, we're all liberal, weed-smoking, anorexic gangsters who drive around in SUVs with a Starbucks fat-free latte permanently grasped between our manicured fingers and dream of making it big in Hollywood one day.
Okay, maybe not all at once.
LA does have a lot of suburbs, but over time they've all sort of melted together. It is divided roughly into two main regions. The City is south of the Hollywood Hills and The Valley is north of them (there's no definite line, but you usually know which one you're in. I generally go by whether you're north or south of Mulholland. Probably if you haven't been to LA you don't know what I'm talking about). Some sub-cities in The City are West Hollywood, Hollywood, Downtown, Santa Monica, and Beverley Hills. Some in The Valley are Studio City, Pasadena, Burbank, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Van Nuys, and Valley Village.
Truths: Usually you don't see people walking like in New York. We drive. There are tons of freeways. There is a lot of traffic and you have to learn how to navigate so that you don't get stuck on the 10 freeway for six hours. This city is immensely cosmopolitan. We have slums. We have gangs. We have good restaurants. We have many studios such as Disney, Paramount, Nickelodeon, etc. There's smog, but it's just sitting on the horizon, not bothering anyone. In fact, it makes the sunsets beautiful. We're not as superficial as people think. Our public transportation is horrible. Our public school system is broke. Our weather is perfect 99.99999% of the time. If we have more than two days of nonstop rain local news stations start a StormWatch2000 segment. People here are nice. If you pass someone on the street they will say hello and sometimes even ask you how you're doing. We have really nice museums such as the Getty Center, LACMA (Los Angeles County Museum of Art), and the La Brea Tar Pits (better than it sounds). We have beaches. It is not surprising to see someone getting arrested or to sit a table away from an actor/actress at a restaurant. We're pretty laid back people. You will never run out of stuff to do here. I can't think of any place I would rather live.
Misconceptions: Hollywood is NOT THAT GREAT. If you come here you would be better off at The Grove. Many of us are, in fact, aware of the state of humanity. All of the good theme parks are in Florida. Our Universal Studios and Disneyland get old fast. We're not that obsessed with plastic surgery. We don't have big earthquakes that often, though there are minor ones now and then. I've only been in one serious quake, so all you east coast people can stop freaking out.
Home of the Rich and the Poor
Home of Oppotunity
Home of Success and Failure
Home of Sandy Beaches and Great Weather
Home of Everything from Hip-Hop to Punk
Home of Bruins and Trojans
Home of Hollywood
Home of the Beach Boys and Linkin Park
whats not to love about the City of Angels??
no one can even compare
2. A city located in Southern California. Los Angeles dates back all the way to the early 1500s. Thats even earlier than when the Pilgrims arrived at Plymmouth Rock. The Spanish governed first, then The Mexican government and now the U.S. L.A. became an official California and U.S. city in 1850. Since then Los Angeles has grown to become a city rich economically, culturally, and ideally. The city has everything you'll ever want. Los Angeles's size in area rivals that of New York's and Chicago's. L.A. has several communities and neighborhoods such as: Downtown L.A., Hollywood, the most famous, and Universal City. L.A.'s population consists of four main races: White, Latino, Black, and Asian. Latinos have the biggest influence ,of all the minorities, in Los Angeles. This a big reason why Los Angeles has developed to be what it is. Ofcourse Los Angeles is not all good looks and glamour. When a city like this has all this to offer you bet crime is not far behind. Los Angeles has its share of ruthless, despicable, and fearful criminals, but what major city dosen't have them? The crime in Los Angeles and all the rumors are what give L.A. it's bad name. All there is to know about this is either stay away or come see for yourself. Anyone who bad-mouths Los Angeles either does not live in L.A. or does but can't seem to get around this avoidable problem. L.A. is for those who have the balls to discover what it has to offer them. At the end of each day the sun sets and until tommorow when a new day is to be made.