One who wants to maximize individual liberty and mimimize the role of the state. ("Live and let live," so to say.)
Government should protect and preserve life, liberty, and property, as well as intervene in the events of force and fraud. (Force, however, is OK when somebody trespasses onto your property and/or initiates violence against you or a loved or defenseless one.)
On the issues (Thanks to the U.S. Libertarian Party's official website)...
1. CRIME AND VIOLENCE: Protect victims' rights. End prohibition. Get tough on real crime (ones with actual victims). Protect the right to self-defense. Address the root causes of crime.
2(a). ENVIRONMENT - BASICS: Abolish sovereign immunity for government officials. Privatize "land and beast". Use tort (restitution) as a deterrent and restorative.
2(b). ENVIRONMENT - GLOBAL WARMING: Utilize non-government ways to put a stop to the "problem" we've been hearing about.
3. FAMILY BUDGETS: Knock down income and property taxes so families can put more money into their bank accounts and piggy jars. Utilize sales taxes to collect revenue.
4. FOREIGN POLICY: Non-interventionism. Use deterrence, and only attack when actually threatened or attacked. Free trade over foreign aid to help out developing nations. No conscription, period.
5. FREEDOM OF SPEECH: No censorship, no subsidization. Only intervene when there's coercion involved.
6. GUN LAWS: The right to bear arms. Encourage gun ownership, and invest in education and training programs to promote responsible gun ownership.
7. HEALTH CARE: Establish Medical Savings Accounts (MSAs). De-regulate the health care industry. Remove barriers to safe, affordable medicines.
8. INTERNET: Stop censorship.
9. IMMIGRATION: To immigrants, no welfare. And make sure you get screened for medical purposes and have had a police background check. Then you can enter LEGALLY.
10. POVERTY AND WELFARE: End welfare. Establish a dollar-for-dollar tax credit for contributions to private charity. Tear down barriers to entrepreneurism and economic growth. Reform education using the free market (or vouchers or tax credits).
11. PRIVACY: Repeal restrictions and regulations on the private development, sale, and use of encryption technology. No court-issued warrant detailing the time, place, and area to be searched, no search. No national ID card and no Social Security for ID purposes.
12. SOCIAL SECURITY: Sell all assets to make sure that America's promises are kept while pursuing IRAs (Individual Retirement Accounts) for the purpose of allowing citizens to control their own retirement.
13. TAXES: Privatize and cut taxes. Get Germany and Japan off of military welfare. Stop bailing out industries with taxpayers' money. Replace welfare with private charity. Sales taxes would be better than income and property taxes.
A Libertarian on the issues...
1. CRIME AND VIOLENCE: "How about monetary restitution for the victim instead of the death penalty? And let's legalize drugs, gambling, and prostitution, as long as it's consensual."
2(a). ENVIRONMENT - BASICS: "What the EPA says goes, politicians. It's time you guys sold some land to pay off the national debt. And I'm gonna take that guy to small claims court because he spilled oil on my front lawn."
2(b). ENVIRONMENT - GLOBAL WARMING: And I'll plant some trees to suck up that CO2, a'ight, you global-warming worrywarts?!"
3. FAMILY BUDGETS: "That FairTax is such a good idea. Instead of you taking my money, I'm GIVING it to you."
4. FOREIGN POLICY: "Do we really need to police the world or contribute troops to UN peacekeeping forces? I honestly would rather sign free trade agreements over foreign policies. Yeah, sure, jobs may be outsourced, but we should really knock down corporate taxes so we can compete for those jobs."
5. FREEDOM OF SPEECH: "Read the First Amendment."
6. GUN LAWS: "Read the Second Amendment. I'm training to use a gun responsibly, mind you. I won't shoot unless in self-defense, but I'll pay you money if I misfire my gun, a'ight?"
7. HEALTH CARE: "Let's find ways to lower costs instead of trying to find bureaucratic ways to foot the bill, OK, you Canadian-style health care lovers?"
8. INTERNET: "Read the First Amendment. Net Neutrality is an invasion by government into the free market -- let Internet providers shoot themselves in the foot."
9. IMMIGRATION: "Let's cut off welfare before we open the floodgates."
10. POVERTY AND WELFARE: "A job is better than welfare."
11. PRIVACY: "Read the Fourth Amendment. And stay out of my comp, unless you got a court-issued warrant!"
12. SOCIAL SECURITY: "IRAs R awesome. I could sell these assets to help pay the national debt."
13. TAXES: "Lower taxes by cutting the fat from the budget. Privatize, no military welfare, no corporate welfare, and private charity. Russ Feingold and all you other budget hawks in Congress, take notes."
A former Republican who grew larger balls and decided to say fuck the establishment.
I became Libertarian once I fully understood the Constitution.
one who believes the only purpose of government is to protect the rights of its citizens, those rights being life, liberty and property
liberatarians could save the united states from socialism if only its citizens were not so stupid
A libertarian is someone who believes that you should have the freedom to do whatever you choose, other than to hurt or take away that freedom from someone else.
The only reason for the government is to make sure that people don't take away freedom of another person. Any extra rules enforced are not needed, and are an invasion of personal liberty.
Clint Eastwood is a libertarian.
1)One who advocates maximizing individual rights and minimizing the role of the state.
2)One who believes in free will.
3)Not a conservative or liberal in the modern sense.
4)Believe in the freedom to do as you wish as long as you don't hurt others.
5)Freedom, Liberty, Minimal Government.
I vote Libertarian because the biggest wasted vote is for another evil Republican or Democrat.
If used in a non-political sense, "libertarian" simply makes no sense at all.
Me: I'd like a large popcorn with a libertarian amount of butter, please.
Republicans that smoke weed.
Zeke was against social welfare programs, but he liked his weed so he became a Libertarian.
One who wants the gov't to get the hell out of their lives
In Maryland, the Libertaian party is gaining a lot of support