- Enjoy art and literature nobody else cares about, and think they are superior to everyone else because of it
- Believe education should serve some undefined "higher purpose" than preparing people for the real world
- Claim that language is a beautiful art form rather than a means of communication
- Love to argue that capitalism is evil despite having no understanding of basic economics
- Dream of living anywhere but where they actually do live; usually a far less affluent society
- Believe that our own society is degrading or becoming a cultural wasteland, because people would rather watch TV than go see a play written in the 1600's
- Are the most fiery supporters of evolution, yet dislike people who pursue their evolutionary desires
- Convince themselves to hate parties and sports to cover up their lack of social/athletic ability
- Can't stand the idea of leaving their tiny bubble that is academia
- Believe that anyone who enjoys sports must be a mindless jock with the IQ of a gorilla
- Love to advertise how much they "think for themselves," yet somehow always agree with each other on everything
Not to be confused with the word "intelligent"
(It must be noted that--typically--the burgeoning intellectual may/will suffer his/her nadir of social popularity between the age(s) of 12-21. However, after pubescence, everybody realizes how very interesting they (i.e. the intellectuals) are b/c they (i.e. the intellectuals) chose to stay inside, cultivating a personality, while the rest of the general population was drunkenly scrambling to remove their clothes.)
2.Self styled national conscience and natural leader.
3.Linguistic acrobat specialising in moral postures and verbal smoke and mirrors.
Censorship and intimidation is the wet dream of the intellectuals. It is the only acceptable safety net when balancing on a tightrope in world of ever changing sensibilities and linguistic prohibitions, producing a spectacle of moral indignation in competition for the attention of a fickle audience.
Fear of ridicule is the constant companion of the Politically Correct intellectual in his battle against facts and observations by the uneducated.