The music- a genre that isn't a genre, and is only used as a genre by stupid people who don't know what genre the band/song actually is, so they resort to calling it indie. (<woah, I confused myself)
The people- according to the other definitions, the internet, and people at school...I'm an indie...but I don't think so. (I AM A NERD!)Sort of like the "genre" a label used when one doesn't know what label applies...
Me-So, what genre do YOU think Fleet Foxes is?
stupidperson- *thinks-uh...no idea* It's so indie!
Me- *hits head with hand*
SP- lemme see your ipod!
SP- just what I thought, you are sooooo indie! You can tell by how you dress and all that indie music proves it...ou probably worship pitchfork, don't you?
ME- #1 noooo, #2 don't even get me started. #3 I dress this way because I feel like it, I didn't even know it was "indie"... #4 Uh...I just agree with pitchfork a lot. It's a freaking coincidence!
SP- oh, don't get upset. It's deck that your indie.
Me- Did you honestly say the word deck?
SP- yeah, it's indie.
Me- bye, I've got a robotics club meeting.
SP- RObotics that's not cool!
Me- do I look like I care?!
so apparently, that^ is what indie is...the definition of stupid people.
(DFTBA folks, and decrease worldsuck by not saying indie)
A genre of music self produced, written and released by a band. It originally meant any music produced in this manner, but now has come to be used in the sense of bland, samey music that somehow seems to be taking the charts by storm.
Its sound is either acoustic with an irritating high pitched singer with a painfully fake English or American accent (take your pick) with side or boring, repetitively electronic with an irritating high pitched singer with aforementioned accent and a side order of sythpop campness.
Its band names also have to be ridiculously stupid and long, and have to conform to the following criteria.
1) It has to sound like every member of the band sat down and thought of a random word, then they slapped them together and whacked it on the promotional leaflets that the members of said band hand out to people who don't want them.
2 ) It has to be completely unrelated to the bands music, and their personal beliefs.
3) It has to be so ridiculous that ordinary people laugh. This is so that Indie kids can look down on us mere mortals, saying that we are 'scene kids' and that they are 'so unique' when in fact they are conforming to a wider spread class of people anyway, especially since Indie has hit the mainstream.
Its followers seem impervious to the genre's complete silliness, and they generally wear brightly coloured clothes, glasses when they don't need them, especially of the thick rimmed 'nerd' style, which mere years before would have got them a ...
1. a noun, being a person who does not believe in the affiliation or support of things in the mainstream.
characteristics: going to see local musicians at venues, wearing clothing bought exclusively from thrift/bargain stores, trying to become as intellectual as possible. you'll find them: in libraries, at "shows," at flea markets. pseudo indies often wear/go to urban outfitters.
2. a noun, being something (such as a band or movie) that hasn't been signed to a major label/company. these generally have a certain style and often express much more emotion than art of the "mainstream." movies: will have very unique characters and the storylines will be in-depth and devlopmental to the characters. music: using a lot of emotion in the voice, without sounding whiny, and are more often described as "beautiful," also, aren't generally 'heavy' sounding, often with acoustic instuments and a variety of percussion.
1. some well known indie bands include: sonic youth, joy division, rilo kiley, etc.
2. examples of indie movies are: movies directed by wes anderson, movies that win sundance awards
Being different, just like everybody else
Indie Kid: You are a conformist, at least I conform to a larger group of sheep just like me
Non-Indie Kid: *shakes head*
Indie is you, your innate nature and personality, without the corruption of the world. It is not getting influenced by anyone around you and not caring about what other people's impressions are of you. Indie is originality.
Indie is what God made you to be, right from the beginning of time.
animals are indie
indie, short for independent, is a normally classified as a music genre. indie music can be anything; rap, folk, pop, punk, international, etc. but is normally labeled as obscure and alternative rock. indie bands are not signed to big record labels, hence the name independent.
but now, indie has become another stereotypical label like emo, goth, prep, and the list goes on. before indie gained popularity, it simply defined people who were independent and did what they want. 'indie people' dress how they want, wear their hair how the want, listen to what they want, and be their own person. 'indie people' are very unique and most are individualists. no two 'indies' are the same.
independent movies and films have also been given the label indie. independent movies are films that have not been made popular and are made outside of large theater companies. indie movies are made with smaller budgets and no corporate funding.
i can't describe indie music, movies, or stereotypes because they are all different.
A videogame or videogame company that has a small budget and is often obscure. The few companies that actually have the shit to take risks and make a completely different game.
Many Flash/Java games are indie games.