1. An alternative degree for above average senior high school students, it is internationally regulated and recognised as a more challenging and more prestigious course.
2. A program designed specifically to destroy any small shards of self-esteem a pre-IB student once had.
3. A highly elitist program that is really only available to students who's parents can pay for them to attend a very good school.
4. Something that parents can brag about to their friends. (see above)
5. Will either be my downfall or my emancipation from a mediocre life.
2. Year 11 student (first year IB): Wow... i didnt realise that now i am in a class of gifted people, i no longer stand out - in fact, i feel like a big old dumbass...
3. I feel very grateful for my education. I have attended the best private girls school in australia since i was 7 thanks to my parents being able to pay $17 000 a year to keep me there, now im doing the IB! i better get a damn good result or ill have nothing to show for my $153 000 education...
5. "oh!, how delightful prudence! your daughter will be attending MLC also! Do come down to the Estate this weekend with your family, we can play polo and croquet and it will be jolly good fun!"
6. Hmmmm... i could either end up failing IB (and become a crackwhore) or, i could be a future high-rolling corporate fat-cat/neurosurgeon/investment banker/corporate lawyer/astronaut.
Its funny, because when i asked my father (who is a doctor) to help me with my first term IB biology homework, he said that it was the same as what he learnt in second year med...
IB - Teaching students how to turn shit into gold!
See also: Academic Suicide
I B, therefore I stress
I stress, therefore IBS
The state goals of the program are to provide students with an education rounded out accross five program areas ("groups") - including Language 1, Language 2, Social Sciences, Science, Math, and Art/Option. Additional elements of the program include CAS (a system used to force students out of the house once in a while), ToK (philosophy) and Extended Essay.
In an attempt to shove too much information down the throats of students, the program ends up significantly improving the core skill required to succeed in IB: Bullshit. The phrase I.B. therefore I B.S. comes from this.
Its long, unpronounceable and un-spellable name only adds to its supposed prominence.
In short, this institution is designed to swindle valuable money and time away from its members by exploiting competitive young adults.
IB students are typically extremely masochistic and rarely sleep. It is also known to have made students who once felt quite smart to feel quite stupid, thus greatly lowering their self-esteems.
Another name for IB is hell.
IB student: Sorry, I can't. I have a chemistry formal report due tomorrow, I have to read about 100 pages for biology, read an entire Shakespeare play, write a research paper about Stalin, do an entire chapter of calculus, and volunteer for 8 hours too.
Non-IB student: Damn.
Vaughn Road Academy's pretty hard to get into, it's IB.
IB really takes alot of work.
IB - teaching students to turn shit into gold.