When they tell you why they think they have a good reason to hate them, they say something about the Bible, and say untrue shit about STD's, or try to say sexuality is a matter of choice, when everyone with a decent IQ knows that it isn't.
(Hey, you wanna prove me wrong, tell me how to make myself straight.)
It seems that most homophobes are rednecks who are members of the Ku Klux Klan.
Homophobia can be very closely compared with racism.
2. That friend everyone has that is always saying something is 'gay' as their way of saying something is bad. Usually accompanied by accusing people they know of being gay when they know better, most likely as an attempt to cover up their own gayness, when everyone wishes they'd just come out of the closet already and get it over with.
3. Newcomers to county jail or state/federal prison. Also potentially your straight friends after you get out of jail and/or prison.
4. People who seem to take their religion way out of context so they can use it to promote hate and intolerance; found a lot in the southern united states but isn't limited to that region.
2. "That's a gay game. You're gay for even playing it. It's gay beyond belief." "It's okay, Kevin. You can come out of the closet. We're still your friends." "Gays!" "Homophobe."
3. "Holy shit dude, I'm not trying to sound like a homophobe but I really think I'm going to need some soap on a rope. I saw the way those guys were eyeing me in the shower." or "Dude, my homie just got out of prison. I wonder if he took it in the ass while he was in there?" "Homophobes!"
4. Man 1: "Hey, whatever happened to Matthew, Chapter 7, verse 1, 'thou shalt not judge...'?" Man 2: "Fuck that, man, God hates fags, it's in the Bible!" Man 1: "There's a lot of other stuff in the Bible too, maybe if you knew how to read you'd know that." Man 2: "You're a faggot!" Man 1: "You're a homophobe." Man 2: "Queer!" Man 1: "Have a nice life."
That's perfectly normal, heterosexuals are born with it. To make it simple: omophobe=heterosexual.
It's commonly misused to label people who refuse to join gay parades.
It's also misused to describe bigots who persecute gays for their sexual beliefs.
A normal homophobe (heterosexual) doesn't hate gay people, he just doesn't want to be one of them.
A homophobe is a person who makes every effort NOT to drop the soap in the prison shower. He does have a "phobia" of the "homo" standing behind him waiting for the soap to drop.