Set to be a cheap expansion for Halo 3, the Bungie burst it's boundaries with so much content that Microsoft couldn't ship it as JUST an expansion.
Halo 3 ODST offers what Halo 3 didn't; Firefight mode (similar to Gears of War's Horde mode) and an slightly open-world campaign that brings a lot more fighting and action and slaughtering aliens. The gunplay is brought back its roots of Halo - health packs and no dual-wielding, which means every gun is useful on its own. You can also hold one extra grenade of each type (why didn't they have this is Halo 3?) bringing the total to 3 each, and also gives weapons kickback, making it a little more challenging to get kills. Brutes are actually tough this time around and knocking off their armor actually has a purpose.
As for the musical score, Martin O'Donnell hits it right on the mark. More jazzy than Halo 3's techno, it sets the mood nicely. He proves once again that he can craft incredible music for videogames.
Even though the campaign is short and people may say it isn't worth the buy, ODST brings different experiences than what Master Chief could ever bring. It certainly is a step up from its predecessor, and any and every Halo fan and Xbox 360 owner MUST play it.
Me: Get back in your cage.
It is said to be released at September 22, 2009. (Although they can always change the release date at anytime.) You can pre-order it at your local video game store (ex. Game Stop, EB Games etc.) and if you do then there will be a code to redeem Sgt. Johnson so he is playable in the game mode "Firefight."
Guy 2: Yeah dude i've seen the trailers and stuff.
Guy 3: I've heard of it too!! In fact, I pre-ordered it already!
Side effect includes:
1. Randomly yelling about stupid grunts being dumb.
2. Upon the completion of simple tasks using the words epic, legendary, owned, overkill, and/or random muttering about how one 'pwn'd' that shit..
3. Total lack of any kind of attention to the every day life around them.
4. When talking to someone about anything they make reference to something that Master Chief would do in that situation.
5. The forgetting of important dates due to needing to reach 200,000 points on Heroic Lost Platoon for the achievement that will finish off all 8 lvls they have been needing that for.
6. The noted drop in grades going from A's to D's because they wrote a paper on the subject of how Buck was the best player in all of Fire Fight and could easily get way more kills in real life then Sgt. Johnson.
Dog runs into wall.
Boy: Stupid dog. Just like a grunt, don't know where it's going...
Guy talking to friend about his gf.
Friend: Dude I heard your girl was over last night...
Guy: Yeah man. I was like, epically hittin' it too. We went overkill with it...
Girl: Hun the dogs need to go out.(30 minutes later) Hun did you let the dogs out?
Guy: (playing Halo 3: ODST) COMMON YOU GRUNT JUST DIE!!
Girl: What the hell?! (5 minutes later) The kitchen is on fire and your mom called, she has cancer..
Guy: Huh. Just give me a few more minutes to kill these brutes and I will let the dog out...
Kid: Hey man I saw this car go crashing into a wall yesterday.
Friend: Dude if Master Chief had been there he would have blasted the wall before he even got close to crashing...
Girl: (hands guy a small gift box) Here... Remember what today is?
Guy: Hell yeah. Today is the day I finally get the damn achievement on Heroic for the complete set...
Girl: No. Today was supposed to be out 4th anniversary a**hole.
Teacher: Well Mrs. Doe your child got that D cause he wrote this for his report on his hero..
Paper: Buck so would have killed like 40,000 brutes before Sgt. Johnson could have even lit his cigar. If I could be anyone when I got older it would be Buck from the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers squad,
Teacher: I think you might need to put him in counciling for video addiction.