Grindcore is a very innovative and non-cliche genre, and seeks to be set apart from trendy Metalcore and Hardcore bands. Yet somehow since grindcore has no scene of its own, Grindcore bands are mismatched at hardcore or metal shows. (Leaving alot of bewildered stares on the cookie-cutter scene kid's faces.)
Also, there is no grindcore scene, and one cannot "be grindcore."
ex. "Im a grindcore kid." <-Your a faggot.
ex. "The Dillinger Escape Plan is not hardcore, they are grindcore/experimental."
Many of the early bands, such as Napalm Death, DRI, and Siege were seen by their contemporaries as part of the anarcho-punk and hardcore punk scenes. As many anarcho-punk and peace punk bands in England and hardcore in the United States had already incorporated elements of heavy metal into their music.
Over time grindcore has evolved into many many sub genres and has also hybridized with death metal to create death grind. Grindcore has proven somewhat difficult to categorise. Some fans and musicians have a firm concept of genre and subgenre, but others reject such categorisation as limiting or useless.
There is often significant crossover from one category to another, and often the influence of non-metal music is present.
* Political grindcore: This subgenre is known for having politically aware lyrics, and is sometimes associated with the crust punk and peace punk movement. Of all the subgenres of grindcore, this one remains the most musically similar to the earliest grindcore bands. Examples include Nasum and Napalm Death.
* Porno Grind a sub genre similar to gore grind which can have perveted lyrics that focus purely around sex or can mix perverted lyrics with gory lyrics. The often but not always pornogrind bands use pitchshifters and have low pitched gargling vocals. Examples include Cock And Ball Torture, Regurgitate and Gorgasm
* Power violence a lot like grindcore, drum-wise and vocal-wise at times, but leans more to being faster sounding hardcore. Widely considered a sub genre of hardcore, equally if not more.
* Goregrind: This subgenre started with the band Carcass, and is most notable for having gore obsessed lyrics, and pitchshifted vocals.
* eGrind (also referred to as Cybergrind, Digital Grindcore, Digigrind, or Midicore) is a form of grindcore that, aside from the instruments used by ordinary grind, uses computer generated sounds and/or drum machines and other synthetic instruments. Typical bands in the genre are lightning fast with shorter songs, usually under 2 minutes and sometimes use samples.
* Death/Grind: Death metal with heavy grindcore influences, or vice versa.
* Noisecore: structure-free grindcore, with feedback, hateful lyrics and general disregard for musicianship. For example Anal Cunt, Genital Masticator, Rutatron.
* Agoraphobic Nosebleed
* Anal Cunt
* Bathtub Shitter
* Beyond Terror Beyond Grace
* Bile (Netherlands)
* Blood Duster
* Bodies Lay Broken
* Brutality Reigns Supreme
* Cock and Ball Torture
* Cripple Fetish
* Cripple Bastards
* Destroy and Disrupt
* Extreme Noise Terror
* Extreme Smoke
* Fear of God
* Garbage Guts
* Gore Beyond Necropsy
* Hymen Holocaust
* Last Days of Humanity
* Mincing Fury and Guttural Clamour of Queer Decay
* Misery Index
* Napalm Death
* Old Lady Drivers
* Rhino Charge
* Rotting Flesh
* Rotten Sound
* Sanity's Dawn
* Sewn Shut
* Sound Pollution
* The Kill
* Total Fucking Destruction
* Tu Carne
* Unholy Grave
* Unseen Terror
* Vulgar Pigeons
* Words That Burn
Goregrind which is grindcore influenced bands with gorey lyrics, the vocals almost always seem to use effects. Some goregrind is: Lymphatic Phlegm, Regurgitate, Squash Bowels, and more.
Pornogrind is usually very simple and contains a lot of erotic lyrics or odd fetishes to make the genre more humerous then serious. Some pornogrind is: The Meat Shits, Cock and Ball Torture, Anal Bleeding.
Political grindcore, Crustcore, noisecore are also some other grindcore sub-genres. But i myself don't listen to any of those so i can't really tell you what exactly they're like and what bands fall under that catagory.
Key Grindcore artists: Napalm Death, Carcass, Gut, Impetigo, Pig Destroyer, Nasum, Lymphatic Phlegm, Regurgitate, Morbid Savouring, Meat shits, Neuro-Visceral Exhumation
Here are the positions:
Grind Core Positions.
Vocalist: Their job is to get raped, and for their voice to resemble the sound of such, For a good substitute, a Pig could be used in place for the vocalist.
Guitarist: Their Job is maybe the easiest, They only have to take a guitar and punch it on various places on the fretboard, also, the same sound is to take a pregnant woman and to psh her down stairs.
Bass: Open cords. Just basically hit it.
Drums: This one maybe quite challengeing (diffuculty rating: 1st grade) The grindcore drummer has to be suffering of epilepsy for having a seizure on the drums is the only way to get the best sound. But heres what they do; hit the snare drum at various times, rapidly, but not melodically. For the bass, just stomp every third of a second. and cymbals, just whenever you can.
With those steps you can explore the world of grindcore in no time!
Mike: Oh cool, Id come but im not a manic depressive so I wont have to shoot myself. have fun though!
The band Napalm Death is believed to have created grindcore (and coin the term) on their first two albums: Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration.
Grindcore has a variety of subgenres:
*Crustgrind - a fusion of grindcore and crust punk
*Goregrind - grindcore with gorier lyrics and the use of a pitchshifter.
*Noisegrind - Grindcore focused on noise ond speed over musicmanship.
*Cybergrind - Grindcore with influences from electronic music.
*Deathgrind - Grindcore with the complexity of death metal.
*Pornogrind - grindcore with sexualized lyrics and groovy riffage.
*Scenegrind - mainstream, watered down grindcore.