The band first became famouse in the early-mid 90s due to their independant albums 39/Smooth and Kerplunk. The success was improved upon with 1994's Dookie and 1995's Insomniac. Subsequent albums Nimrod and Warning were less successful, though they yielded popular songs such as Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) and Minority
Though their popularity began to sag, the band came back with the multiplatinum 2004 'Punk Rock Opera' American Idiot, which detailed the story of the Jesus of Suburbia, St. Jimmy, and Whatsername as they navigate the waters of Bush-Era America. The album was both critically and commercially successful, and spawned a profitable world tour.
The band's next release came in 2009, 21st Century Breakdown. Similar to American Idiot in concept, the album varied in style and was praised for its diversity. Like the previous album, it's a 'Punk Rock Opera', following two 20somethings, Christian and Gloria.
Music Elitists that don't actually know what they're talking about like to use Green Day as an example of a band that is a sellout because they signed to a major label. Obviously someone doesn't remember The Clash in 1977.
Guy 2: Screw that man, Green Day sucks, they're not punk.
Guy 1: Elaborate.
Guy 2: Well man, y'know, girls think Billie Joe is cute, and like, they sold out, and...and they did an acoustic song and they just suck.
Guy 1: You're an idiot. Hey dude, Green Day tickets, up for it?
Guy 3: Hell yeah!
2. A popular punk rock band with members from Rodeo and Willits, California.
2. Mike Dirnt and Tre Cool are also members of Green Day.
girl 2: "Yeah, billie joe is gorgeous"
me: "For gods sake! they have been around for 15 odd years!"
girl 3: "really? wow do you reckon Nirvana will ever get back together? that would be qualtiy"
me: *sound of me crying on the floor in utter despair*
2) Popular American pop-punk band with such classics as Good Riddance (Time of Your Life), Basket Case and Longview. Sometimes said to be inspiration for various later pop-punk bands.
2) I am going to the Green Day concert next week.
2) A day when you just sit around and do nothing but smoke weed
2) That stoner's has 1 too many green days. He's trippin, man!