Grammar is the set of rules of language and how we use it. Correct syntax, sentence structure and punctuation are all part of grammar.
People who use correct grammar capitalize the first letter of their sentences and end sentences with a full stop. They use commas and apostrophes when they're supposed to. They write sentences which neither run on or are sentence fragments.
Apparently, being on the Internet is an automatic exemption from using grammar and spelling. It's true, ask anyone why they don't use grammar on the Internet and their reason is always "Because it's MSN/the Internet/IRC". There's no real reason to not use grammar. Grammar is out of fashion nowadays, you're more likely to be ridiculed for using correct grammar than not.
A little lesson on common grammar errors:
Your - Implies ownership, example: "Your dog" or "Your house", NOT "Your stupid".
You're - Used to describe someone when talking directly to them, usually followed by an adjective or "a/an (insert noun)", example: "You're stupid".
There - Referring to location, example: "He's over there" or "Are you there?".
Their - Implies group ownership, example: "Their house" or "Their rights".
They're - Contracted form of "they are", example: "They're quite stupid".
It's - Contracted form of "it is", example: "It's really hot outside", NOT "A cat and it's kittens".
Its - Implies non-human ownership, example: "A dog and its bone".
He's - Contracted form of "he is", example: "He's so sexy", NOT "He's hat".
His - Implies male ownership, example: "His hat", NOT "His so sexy".
1. an opportunity for chomsky to yet again force dualism down our throats until it sticks out of our asses.
2. something that cannot be removed from sentences such as the following:
OMGZORZ!!!!! TIZ IS THE BEST CHATR00M EVAR LAWLZORZ!!!!!!!!!
3. is implicit in every form of communicaton from billboard advertising to the way you wear your hair.
4. something that can be used to enforce and control or perhaps to just define.
5. something that everybody can describe but that nobody can yet explain. Except me perhaps :)
'not now reg, I'm having tea with my grammar.'
'the horse raced past the barn fell.'
Something that is not used in most chatrooms because their morons.
retard 1: OMGZORZ!!!!! TIZ IS THE BEST CHATR00M EVAR LAWLZORZ!!!!!!!!!
retard 2: GTFO N00BZORZ!!!!!! U SUK BAWLZORZ!!!!!! STFU!!!!
smart person: Wow, ever heard of grammar morons?
1. a universally accepted form of writing or speaking that appropriately conveys a person's thoughts so that others may understand it.
2. a dying art.
3. not something that is readily experienced while surfing the Internet.
4. something that 99% of people in the world have no concept of.
5. a form of writing or speaking which is hard to learn and hence is ignored by the general populous.
6. a knowledge that is deeply rewarding which is not deemed important or crucial by lazy slugs.
Correct grammar makes you understood.
Pretentious people on the internet frequently abuse this mechanic to make themselves look smart.
Proper grammar IS NOT a gauge of intelligence. Why don't more people use perfect grammar on the internet? Becuase they aren't writing academic papers online; they're writing in colloquialisms which other people understand. Many smart people talk colloquially because THEY ARE PEOPLE WHO GREW UP IN SOCIETY.
And if you find the need to prowl around the internet, fixing people's grammatical errors to make yourself feel good then...you don't recognize that ultimately, the English language is meant to be used as a form of communication, and not a way to make yourself look smart.
tl;dr : people rnt complete dumbshits just bcuz they type like this so stop being such a grammar nazi
Person A: Your wrong. Your argument is compltely flawed because of A, B, and C.
Grammar Nazi: IT'S "YOU'RE", NOT "YOUR" AND YOU SPELLED "COMPLETELY" WRONG. Therefore I have proven that your level of intellegence is so far below mine that it would be a waste of time arguing with a Neanderthal like you. No, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT AD HOMINEM IS.
Something that long ago would roam the world. Much like dinosaurs; i.e. and extinct species.
A: lolz. wuts grammar?
B: uhmm idk! haha lol.
(v). to royally pwn someone on a forum because you know more than they do on a subject, and you have proof, plus you do so eloquently. Often results in "kudos" from other people, if you really are right about something.
1. She totally grammard all over his ass because he'd only seen two episodes of the show, when she owned the entire boxed set on DVD.
2. I could kick you in the shins and grammar all over you.
3. Never argue with a nerd about cartoons. Ever.
Skyler is king of all that is grammar