A person on the Internet that uses proper spelling and grammar. They usually dwell on forums or other social websites and correct the grammar/spelling of, or insult those who have improper grammar or spelling.
The Grammar Nazi will be hated by the person targeted by "He who spells". The "victim" will usually resort to useless insults.
It is a sophisticated form of trolling. The end result is serving the duty of the Grammar Nazi, and causing the idiot to be enraged.
(Assuming this takes place on YouTube. GN = Grammar Nazi.)
Person: "dat vid was sooo tight man u r a genius. da vid iz funny cuz its tru"
GN: "Excuse me. Did you take elementary school English classes? It seems that your sentence has many spelling and punctuation mistakes.
Person: "*response or private message* hey man wat da hell iz wrong with u? just cuz u no how 2 spell doesnt make u ne smarter. u r probably a virgin or gay. hahaha. u cant even get gurlz. deres no reason 2 b a grammer nazi"
GN: "Well, it might not make me smarter, but it definitely makes you dumber. Don't even get me started on the mistakes in that response."
*to self* "Success."
|Grammar Nazi videos|
Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around Irc chatrooms hounding "n00bs".
Well at least you can spell dyslexic correctly.
noun (pl. -s)
1. A person who uses proper grammar at all times, esp. online in emails, chatrooms, instant messages and webboard posts; a proponent of grammatical correctness. Often one who spells correctly as well.
2. a – A person who believes proper grammar (and spelling) should be used by everyone whenever possible. b – One who attempts to persuade or force others to use proper grammar and spelling. c – One who uses proper grammar and spelling to subtly mock or deride those who do not; an exhibitor of grammatical superiority. d – One who advocates linguistic clarity; an opponent of 1337-speak. e – One who corrects others' grammar; the spelling police.
3. A nickname, pseudonym or handle for a well-known grammar nazi (defs. 1 and 2) within a particular social circle, used to show either great respect or great contempt for his or her abilities.
4. To correct the grammar of (a person's speech, a piece of writing, etc.); to edit for grammar and spelling; to proofread.
1. A grammar nazi knows the difference between "there," "their" and "they're."
2. Teh grammar nazis haev invadd r formu.
3. Grammar Nazi, help me with my English homework please.
4. He totally grammar nazied my article, replacing pronouns and rewriting clauses.
To the previous poster. It is spelled grammar, not grammer.
I know, I'm a grammar nazi
A real grammer Nazi will understand this joke. :]
Person 1: I'm a grammer Nazi!
Person 2: No, you are not a grammar Nazi.
A captious individual who cannot resist the urge to correct a spelling and/or grammar mistake even in informal settings. After pointing out the linguistic shortcomings in others, a Grammar Nazi feels a strange sense of twisted and unconstructive intelligentsia delight.
In reality, they are making someone else feel bad for no reason and unintentionally implying that their "superior" grammar skills are all they have to show for a wasted liberal arts education.
While proper grammar usage is all well and good, a Grammar Nazi cavils even insignificant errors in English to somehow win an argument. Of course, rather than being genuinely persuasive in an argument, pointing out English errors is a weak attack only on the typist's credibility and never has any bearing on the underlying premises and assertions therein.
In other words, this is simply a disguised ad hominem argument which intelligent and logical people disregard.
Still, one should strive to spell and use words properly, but arrogant and unsolicited advice is not a very persuasive way to teach English.
Average High Schooler: So U R their in Britin, than?
Insecure English PhD (aka Grammar Nazi): I am in England studying here at Oxford, sir, and I prefer you talk to me only in Ye Olde Englishe like a good chap because language can never evolve.
Some High Schooler: LOL!!!!11 Hve fun nvr getting laid!1111!!!!
A person who criticizes someone else's grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation, usually in an online setting. While they are often seen as uptight assholes who really need to get a life, it should be noted that they point out simple flaws that often show a lack of intelligence on the part of the person being criticized.
That grammar nazi's an ass, but he is right that you're stupid.
A literate on a bad day. Usually found when said literate is in an irritable mood, or has dealt with too much illiteracy in a given time period.
When a literate is in Grammar Nazi mode, they are usually found correcting all sorts of typos & grammar and/or punctuation errors.
She was being a Grammar Nazi, correcting each & everyone one of his mistakes.