1) Someone who is too stupid to think of a reasoned response to any argument so resorts to attacking someone's grammar and spelling instead.
2) Someone who has failed to grasp that forums are not in fact English essays. Language has always varied according to context, just as we use different types of words in a job interview compared to with our mates.
3) Usually in English forums monolingual native English speakers who utterly FAIL do to the fact that 60% of times they are criticizing someone who is using English as a second language at a far higher standard than the grammar nazi would ever be able to use a second language themselves. 30% of remaining cases the person they are talking to is native English but is dyslexic or 10 years younger. And all 100% of times the person being criticized has much better things to do with their time than correct their every spelling mistake. In either case the grammar nazi fails!
4) Someone unable to figure out the difference between intelligence and correct grammar and spelling.
1) erm.. I don't understand. Brain hurt. Damn why do I have to be so stupid? Oh well- let's just insult his grammar and I'll feel intelligent again.
2)Grammar Nazi"You didn't cite your references or write a proper conclusion- you can get an F for that essay"
Normal Person"erm... Lol it's not an essay its a forum post!!!"
Grammar Nazi"eh? I'm confused? Where am I? Who am I?"
3)Grammar Nazi "You use 'their' not 'there' DUMBASS!"
Janic : Sorry my English isn't up to your standards. My native language is Czech so maybe we should switch to using Czech. As you suggest you are more intelligent than me due to my lack of English logically you must be able to speak fluent Czech as well."
Grammar Nazi "oh... erm... errr" FAIL
4)Grammar Nazi "Your arguments are invalid as you lack the intelligence to use apostrophes correctly"
Philosopher: "Hmmm... Intelligence... what really IS intelligence? In our culture we have learnt to.... (intelligent discussion of intelligence)
(Grammar Nazi's head explodes at this point)
Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around Irc chatrooms hounding "n00bs".
Well at least you can spell dyslexic correctly.
noun (pl. -s)
1. A person who uses proper grammar
at all times, esp. online
s, instant message
s and webboard posts; a proponent of grammatical correctness. Often one who spells correctly as well.
2. a – A person who believes proper grammar (and spelling) should be used by everyone whenever possible. b – One who attempts to persuade or force others to use proper grammar and spelling. c – One who uses proper grammar and spelling to subtly mock or deride those who do not; an exhibitor of grammatical superiority. d – One who advocates linguistic clarity; an opponent of 1337
-speak. e – One who corrects others' grammar; the spelling police.
3. A nickname, pseudonym or handle for a well-known grammar nazi (defs. 1 and 2) within a particular social circle, used to show either great respect or great contempt for his or her abilities.
4. To correct the grammar of (a person's speech, a piece of writing, etc.); to edit for grammar and spelling; to proofread.
1. A grammar nazi knows the difference between "there," "their" and "they're."
2. Teh grammar nazis haev invadd r formu.
3. Grammar Nazi, help me with my English homework please.
4. He totally grammar nazied my article, replacing pronouns and rewriting clauses.
To the previous poster. It is spelled grammar, not grammer.
I know, I'm a grammar nazi
A real grammer Nazi will understand this joke. :]
Person 1: I'm a grammer Nazi!
Person 2: No, you are not a grammar Nazi.
A captious individual who cannot resist the urge to correct a spelling and/or grammar mistake even in informal settings. After pointing out the linguistic shortcomings in others, a Grammar Nazi feels a strange sense of twisted and unconstructive intelligentsia delight.
In reality, they are making someone else feel bad for no reason and unintentionally implying that their "superior" grammar skills are all they have to show for a wasted liberal arts education.
While proper grammar usage is all well and good, a Grammar Nazi cavils even insignificant errors in English to somehow win an argument. Of course, rather than being genuinely persuasive in an argument, pointing out English errors is a weak attack only on the typist's credibility and never has any bearing on the underlying premises and assertions therein.
In other words, this is simply a disguised ad hominem
argument which intelligent and logical people disregard.
Still, one should strive to spell and use words properly, but arrogant and unsolicited advice is not a very persuasive way to teach English.
Average High Schooler: So U R their in Britin, than?
Insecure English PhD (aka Grammar Nazi): I am in England studying here at Oxford, sir, and I prefer you talk to me only in Ye Olde Englishe like a good chap because language can never evolve.
Some High Schooler: LOL!!!!11 Hve fun nvr getting laid!1111!!!!
A person who criticizes someone else's grammar, spelling, and/or punctuation, usually in an online setting. While they are often seen as uptight assholes who really need to get a life, it should be noted that they point out simple flaws that often show a lack of intelligence on the part of the person being criticized.
That grammar nazi's an ass, but he is right that you're stupid.
on a bad day. Usually found when said literate is in an irritable mood, or has dealt with too much illiteracy in a given time period.
When a literate is in Grammar Nazi mode, they are usually found correcting all sorts of typo
s & grammar and/or punctuation errors.
She was being a Grammar Nazi, correcting each & everyone one of his mistakes.