2. A movement in literature that branched off of the individualist movement of the 1700's, usually revolving around the darker elements of human nature.
3. Jagged and spaciouis architecture, usually referenced by gothic cathedrals, in which vast open areas invoke feelings of belittlement.
4. A stereotype encompassing whiny, pissant teenagers craving attention. Usually identified by an immense use of black, vampires, blood, and anarchy symbols.
2. Poe was a gothic writer.
3. There was a piece of a gothic chapel on display at the museum.
4. A handful of gothic children mingled outside the Starbucks.
2)Of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of architecture developed in northern France and spreading through western Europe from the middle of the 12th century to the early 16th century that is characterized by the converging of weights and strains at isolated points upon slender vertical piers and counterbalancing buttresses and by pointed arches and vaulting
3)Referal to the middle-ages.
4)Literature style mostly using dark, remote settings.
5)A genre of music steming from punk rock and became popular in the mid 1980's. Korn, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson and Tool are not gothic bands.
6)The language of the Goths.
Note: people cannot be gothic, gothic is not a state of mind, it is not a life style, it is not clothing.
That church down town has gothic architecture.
Stephen King writes gothic fiction.
No, damn it, slipknot is not a damn gothic band.
2. a style of literature considered both dark and romantic and heavy on the drama (see "wuthering heights") NOTE: not generally horror or supernatural stories.
3. a style of music that grew away from Punk in the late 1970's. it was propulgated by bands such as Bauhaus and Siouxsie and the Banshees, and was known for its guitar melodies, darker themes and danceable beats. along with the music came a certain fashion sence (generally attributed to be begun by Siouxsie Sioux) consisting of very dramatic eye makeup (taken from the ancient egyptians), teased hair and tattered clothing made of lace and velvet.
4. devotees of any of the above.
Alot of people are getting the wrong idea about what being gothic really means.
There are many ways to describe it.
1. It's a type of music. Gothic rock usually contains a dark, yet somehow sweet sound. And, most goths I know (including myself) listen to all types of music. But, also like me prefer to listen to metal.
2. I just have to point this out: Goth is NOT a religion.
Just because you're gothic, it doesn't mean you worship Satan and blah blah blah.
Even though most people involved in gothic culture are not believers of God, I do know Christian goths.
3. There is also a style of dress that comes with gothic lifestyle. Yes, most goths do wear black. (Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of corsets and such...) But we do wear color too. Take cybergoths for examlpe. ^.^ You can catch them wearing the coolest outfits that include many neon colors and such. Different shades of purples, reds, blues, and even greens are popular among goths.
There is much more to be said...but I know some are probably bored at this moment...
Thanks, and enjoy.
Just go and talk to gothic kid.
You'll see they're not as bad as you think...
1. Gothic is a steriotype and it shouldn't be. Some gothic people worship false gods and the devil, but I know some who worship God and are christians. Just like all christians are different so are gothics.
2. Gothic is not a religion. If gothic were a religion they would all be WORSHIPING the same thing! Get a clue!
3. Gothics are nice people. Some people think gothics are weird and mean, but they're not.Yes some are, but aren't some "jocks" mean and "class presidents" Stop steriotyping them to be mean and totally suicidal. They're NOT!
4. Gothics dress in black because that is what they like. Some people dress in all pink, but you don't think those "princesses" are weird. Also black happens to be a very cool color and if you are in love with it good for you.
5. Gothics have a mind and are not simply death orented, bloodthirsty, suicidal, depresed robots! Yes some gothics like death, but so do other people, death is a way to be reborn and freed. Also, some like blood and drink it, but that doesn't make them gothic. I am fasinated with blood, am I gothic?! Also, some are sucidal and depressed, but so are some of our most loved celebertys! Get a grip!
In conclusion gothic is simply what so...