First of all, there are several kinds of Goths.
1)Traditional goths: Usually displayed by main charicters in fiction books or movies, Such as Van Helsing or V for Vendetta. "Traditional" goths are bold, creative, and very intelegent people. They usually dress in all black and white. Most Traditional Goths do not wear all the spiky studded stuff. Usually just long dark clothes made of Leather or Velvet. They are usually on the brighter side of life and expect the unexpected. They simply choose this life style because it is different from the majority. Traditional Goths will listen to all kinds of music, but favor and find the beauty in Classical, Opera, and Instrumental music. They appretiate great art, drama, music, or anything else that has a sense of "elegence" to it. They have a strong sense of symbolism, and often wear lots of necklaces or rings. Traditional Goths enjoy being around just about anyone as long as the people they are with arn't to immature. Most Traditional Goths are of Christian Faith, though can be of any religion.
2)Modern Goths: Modern Goths are much like Traditional Goths, but more "modern" as the name may suggest. They are bold, creative, and intelegent. Displaying many of the traits of a Traditional Goth. But they wear the kinds of clothes you might find at Spencers, Hot topic, or your local Renassance fair. Modern Goths listen to most kinds of music, but will perfer more Hardcore music or Metal. They like the feeling of being "Heavy" and "Extreme" while at the same time not breaking the law or anything. They are rebelious and will do everything in their power from becoming a conformist. Most of them enjoy the Fine Arts, but in a different light from Traditional goths. Modern Goths love to be with freinds, and in large groups just hanging out.
3) Punk Goths: Punk Goths are not at all like any other kinds of Goths. Punk Goths wear the kind of spiky, studded, covered in black clothes a Modern Goth might wear, but similarities end there. Punk Goths are as the name suggests. Punks. They are usually nice people but they do enjoy breaking the rules most of the time. They listen to usually nothing less hardcore then Trash Metal and don't have as great respect for the fine arts as other Goths do.
They simply enjoy looking and acting tougher then the average joe.
4)Emo Goths: Now, I know alot of you people out there think Emo's are horrible posers that wish they were the opposite sex, slit their wrists, and want all the attention in the world. Emo Goths are alot different.
Emo Goths are usually from families that don't function well. For example, one of their parents may be an alchoholic or a stoner. Perhapes the death of a dear friend of relative, or maybe just feeling alone. Emo Goths wear pretty much nothing but black, sometimes with studs. Usually wearing Black skater brand T shirts or Band T shirts with black or blue jeans. Emo Goths have great respect for the fine arts, and usually listen to Punk Rock, Altrernative, or metal. Some Emo Goths do harm themselves, some see it as a distraction or a temperary escape from the stress they may be under. Emo Goths do not HAVE to be under stress to be an Emo Goth, but stress is what may lead to it. Emo Goths are usually creative in their own ways, and like to be alone maybe with a small group of friends. They hate crowded rooms and being with large mobs of people.
5)Black Goths: Black Goths are usually good people, but some may call them "Evil". Most Black goths are Wiccans, Satanists, or of other "Unusual" Religions. They beleive in magic and curses. Most Black Goths are nice people, someone you can have a normal conversation with. Some of them are a bit like punk Goths, like breaking the rules. The personality of a Black Goth really depends on their Religion. Not all "Satanic" Black Goths are the kind of people that want everyone to die though, some of them are as normal as you are. Black Goths enjoy being with people much like themselves, and enjoy all kinds of music. Usually Classical, Traditional, or "Black Metal". Black Goths may wear long black robes or Jackets. Sometimes wearing normal clothes.
So as you can see there are many times of Goths as there are many types of people. Do not misjudge them simply because they look "Demonic" or like something out of a horror movie. Get to know one first. All Goths display individuality proudly. Which is what makes them a Goth. Not all Goths have to wear black or studded Leather. "Goth" is more of a personality then it is a style.
Look at that guy! He looks like a Traditional Goth.
Someone who likes the darker side of things. They usually listen to death metal and goth music, such as Dismember and Bauhaus. Marilyn Manson is NOT goth. He's just...weird. Real goths are not depressing and suicidal like the posers you see at Hot Topic. Goths are fun to be around and aren't afraid to laugh at themselves every so often. They don't worship Satan and aren't evil despite what some ignorant people might say. Goths don't all dress alike either. They like to create their own unique style. Goths are also very intelligent and creative. A lot of them are writers and artists. Goths DON'T envy the popular people. They are what they are because it makes them happy. Goths would rather stay who they are and be among the so called "freaks" than be like everyone else and be popular. They understand that there are more important things in life than popularity, and usually succeed in life while the popular ones don't become much of anything.
If someone becomes "goth" because they couldn't get any friends or are depressed and angry all the time, they are most likely a poser.
The goth, that thing that lies at the opposite end of the spectrum of society to the chav.more...
A goth will walk alone where a chav will hide inside his herd and though the goth may take a beating at least that goth was never a coward.
A goth will insult only those who have earnt it whereas a chav will insult people for things as shallow as the clothes they are wearing.
A goths insult will be witty and cutting, a chavs insult more often than not will consist of the chav making a repulsive noise.
A goth will enrich their mind, a chav will watch soaps.
In the morning, a goth will ask themselves “what do I want to wear?” whilst a chav will ask themselves “what in this selection of clothes is the most acceptable thing to wear?”
A goth will have a friend because they are good for someone, a chav will have a friend because that someone is good for them.
A goth approaches new situations with a willingness to think and find the best way forward, a chav will react with aggression to that which it does not already know.
A goth will listen to music that is meaningful to their life and thought provoking, a chav will listen to music which will tell him how to behave.
Goths have no interest in popularity whatsoever. They think outside the box. People aspire to be popular and dress in certain ways that are ‘in’ with everyone else simply because it has never occurred to them how pointless societies values really are. In truth, there was never any point to any one of us being born. W...
There are two definitions
1) a person who likes to dress and act differently to the other people in society, normally in black but some like much brighter colours. They tend to be thinkers and more often than not quite creative. They have a satyrical sense of humour, and are able to laugh at both themselves and other people. This type of goth originated in the late 80's with the "death" of punk; goths back then liked the style and the "protection" it offered and so emulated it in their own style. They listen to and appreciate all sorts of good music. They can be gay/depressed/weird/mentally disturbed, but more often than not they are just normal people.
2) an offshoot of the nu-metal clique who think that to *really* piss off their parents they'll dress all in black and talk about death and suicide whilst listening to Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and Slipknot because it's "cool". They tend to have very little idea of the other type of goths (or anything else other than themselves for that matter) and will probably change their fashion once it becomes "uncool" again. Thank god.
1) I like this kind of goth and aspire to it.
2) I am not a "goth".
1) A germanic tribe who invaded the late roman empire along with the vandals, visi goths etc and actually became more civilized afterwards.
2) An building style used in medieval times and later in victorian times.
2) A literature style of which Dracula and ther supernateral horrors were written in.
3) A music genre that came about in the 80's as an of shoot of punk.
4) A subculture of people who originally listened to Goth music. Now has increased to fit Industrial and Black/Death metal followers. Goths are typically seen as morbid, wearing black clothes almost all of the time, and wearing make up regardless of sex. Also seen to be more open minded to other cultures, sexualities etc.
5) Prententious people who listen to Nu metal who think they are goths but really teenagers who know nothing of music.
(Goth/Industrial bands: Bauhaust, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails KMFDM. NON-Goth bands: Korn, Linkin Park, SLipknot.)
To a Scally: Someone wearing black clothes, and make up.
To a 12 year old Linkin Park fan: Someone who likes Korn.
To a goth: I'm not a goth!
Really: A tribe of eastern european barbarians that sacked rome in the 4th century. The name of an artistic style, associated with clothing, and architecture
Ok,since this subject seems to be VERY controversal,I'll go through some things you may think and what you don't know,you see,I've actully MET some people who follow the Goth culture(labels suck)
Here we go...
1.Goths are suicidal
-Ok,let me begin by saying anyone can be suicidal,Goths,Preps,Jocks,Nerds,ANYONE.Just because someone dresses in black or listens to Rock music and stuff doesn't make them suicidal.
2.All goths are gay or lesbian
-Once again,this is a topic that anyone may be,not just these guys.
3.Goths are evil/worship satan
-This is what those damn Catholic Fanatics made everyone believe,ok,so they may seem dark or even...scary,but that doesn't make them satanic.Satanism is a RELIGION,not a trend.
4.All goths should die
-I am against the killing of anyone because of their likes/dislikes/looks/tastes.
Hopefully,this guide has given you insite that no matter how different people seem,we all are capable of the same shit.
But,here's one that may save you
If you don't like someone,leave them the fuck alone!Don't waste your life making their's hell because they don't look or act like you.
Oh my god,she's such a goth...
Goth was originally a term used to describe people with a taste for certain bands eg: Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, etc. in the '80s when punk started to fade out, and with wardrobes predominantly black.
In the 90s and early 2000s the goth subculture seemed to change to include bands such as Nirvana, Linkin Park, Slipknot, Cradle of Filth, etc.
Many goths have a cynical outlook on society and have an evolved sense of humor which has gone beyond the "Ya ma" as an insult and will laugh at others, and at themselves in a healthy way. Goths don't usually care what other people think of them, and don't care if they don't fit in. Goths don't care, either what sexuality, religion, etc. other goths are, and we don't take the piss out of gays because we aren't homophobes.
If you shout insults after a bunch of goths, alot of the time, they might not be offended, but take pride that people are realising that they're individuals.
S/He listens to "Gothic rock"
S/He lives a goth lifestyle.