Fresh Off the Boat
Individuals who have immigrated to a new country, and therefore are new and clueless to the cultures, trends and interests of that new country. With this, most tend to limit to hanging out with other fellow fobs are those who are at least still exercising the same native cultural values and trends, in order to stay in their zone of social cultural comfort, and alienating themselves from others of different cultures and most things associated.
This term is however mostly apply to individuals who are between ages 13-40, maybe higher, as the most distinguishable feature of Fobs are their style of clothing, appearance trends and hobbies, which are the most prominent in that age range.
There are usually 2 types of Fobs..
1. Hip Fobs - most easy to identified, usually dressed in clothes and hairstyles and has hobbies and interests popular to their native country.
2. Home Fobs - harder to identified, they dress in very generic and typical clothing and appearance. You usually cannot tell they are fobs until you hear them speak with their accents. And they usually have less social life as compared to their "hip" counterparts. But with this, it allows them to assimilated easier with other cultures as they don't have any existing fob friends for them to limit themselves with to.
Sunny and Bobo sure are Fobs. They have immigrated here to the U.S for more than 10 years from Taiwan. Yet, they don't have a single non-Taiwanese friend, they dress exactly like an asian pop star, they only eat in Asian and fusion places and they still don't know enough English to be able to even converse.
First of all...Fob's are immigrants a.k.a. Fresh off the boat. There are many kinds of fobs (i cant really take credit for this becuz i got this off a site. I added some in)more...
- Besides your nationality, there is little to distinguish you from white people
- Your significant other is not Asian and never has been
- You have few Asian friends, if any
- You are embarrassed at family events because you cannot speak your language and everyone has to switch to English to communicate with you
- You have no idea that the other types of Asians on this list even exist
- You think Hello Kitty is dumb and do not know what Sanrio is
- You are the only Asian on this list that does not know what Bubble Tea is
- You drive a Ford or some other domestic car and if you drive a Honda, it is stock
- You claim yourself as Asian, but real Asians think you're whitewashed and non-Asians see you as a foreigner. You fit in nowhere
- You have heard of Bubble Tea but have never actually had any
- You are confused about your cultural identity and express this frustration through spoken word performances at your college
- You read A. magazine and think it's great
- You do not know who Leon, Aaron, Sammi, Hikki, or Kangta are
- You are only vaguely aware of the other Asians below
Yap (Young Asian Professional)
- You are in one of these professions:
a) Medicine / Pharmaceutical
d) Investment Banking
Fresh Off the Boat
"I no FOB, I having good Engrish!"
FOB - is a degrading term for people not up to date on the culture which is an abbreviation for (Fresh Of the Boat.)
meaning you still carry your sense of fashion from your country which clashes with the current countries cultures.
Origin: Hawaii 60's
Local Hawaiians used it to refer to white people who came from mainland US to Hawaii. Its was used a lot by locals and surfers. it was to refer to white people who wasn't up to date on the culture.
It is now used a lot by Asians to refer to immigrant Asians of the same sense.
"Man! whats up with your shoes? thats fob!"
"Dood! check out the howlie with the yellow hat. what a fob."
A cruel term used by Asian-Americans to describe recent Asian immigrants.
People who think it's easy to move to a different country and try integrate into a completely different culture within 1-2 years are retards. FOBs are fabulous. FOBs, with their limited knowledge of English, are a millions times better than AZNs who tIPe LyTe dIS.
by anonymous Aug 5, 2003 add a video
Means Fresh-Off-Boat, but in Australia esp.NSW and QLD used to refer to a Pacific Islander particularly, a Polynesian (Not offensive)
A Fob can be anyone of the following: Tongan, Samoan, Cook Islander, Hawaiian, Niuean, Rapanui, Maori
To place ones fingers under the chin of an unsuspecting victim.
I'm going to fob you so hard..
1) "Fresh Off the Boat" usually pertains to Asians, Arabs, Russians or Indians (not Native American)
2) "Fresh Over the Border" Include people from south of the American/Mexican border. Mainly illegal Mexican immigrants.
"I went to Wal-Mart and there were FOBs as far as the eye can see."
Look at the FOBs in-front of the Home Depot