A Filipino is a nationality. A nationality consisting of the different ethnicities of Philippines. Many of these ethnicities (a strong 95%-97%)trace their roots to the Austronesian people who immigrated out of Southern China into Taiwan as the Northern Mandarin ethnicity became the dominant culture of China.
The Austronesian people travelled well through out the Malay Archipelago (Indonesia, the Philippines, Singapore, Brunei, Malaysia, East Timor, and Papua New Guinea) and many who have settled through out began migrating back-and-forth within the region and also back to mainland Asia. The varied migrations between the Malay Archepelago and the mainland created very ethnically mixed cultures through out the region (And this is before the Europeans came) which is why Filipinos and other "Malays" don't have a consistant racial appearance as opposed to the Chinese and those who are Pacific Islanders(who are in fact of the same blood but not mixed)
The Defining point between Pacific Islanders and Filipinos comes to the fact that once the Austronesian people reached Polynesia they lost all ties to Mainland Asia, unlike the cultures of the Malay Archipelago who would eventually intermix with many of the people of Southern China and Indo-China. Both of these cultures technically are Asian, but the ethnicities are divided by cultural connections with the mainland.
When it comes to the hispanicization of the Philippines, one has to realize that only a small minority of Filipinos actually have Spanish Blood. A Stanford Study has shown only 3% of Filipinos are actually mixed with either Chinese and/or Spanish blood. Much like African Slaves in Colonial America, who received "Christian" Anglo-Saxon/Scots Irish/Irish Protestant names. Filipinos Recieved "Christian" Spanish names and prayed to a white Jesus much like every one else in the world who fell victim to colonialism.
The Colonial Mentality is very much apparent in the Filipino culture, where many will lie about the background claiming their Spanish roots when in fact they probably bleached their skin and got plastic surgery on their nose. The Filipino Media adds on to the stigma against being brown by inundating the T.V. Screen and billboards of the city with White Meztiso Images.
"They say we beat the European Imperialist and yet all you see are white faces on the T.V. Screen."
^something to think about for all my Filipino brothers and sisters.
1. A race that is asian by geography, but has little in common with other asian nations. A hard working, industrious, and very strong family oriented people, but notoriously useless at organizing anything beyond chaos as a nation of people.
2. An exceptional breed of gardener indigenous to a Southeast Asian island chain called the Philippines. A natural born weed whacker.
1. Filipinos are fickle lot. Hard working, yet never accomplishing anything worthwhile as a people.
2. If they had a weed whacking event in the olympics the Philippines would win gold every time.
This is my reply to qiuwpt’s definition of Filipinos:more...
Filipinos are inhabitants of the Philippine Islands located in South-East Asia. First of all, we don’t say “homie”. And most of the people here are tan, not black. Where the prick did that come from? (Okay this part is not for qiuwpt).
1. WE ARE NOT LAZY, ASSHOLE. If we are lazy, how the hell do most countries need our nurses, engineers, and architects? My brother is a LICENSED engineer, my cousins are LICENSED nurses and engineers, and I, will be an engineer in 4 years. I mean, c’mon, we’re not going to get our diplomas if we were all born lazy people. ALL COUNTRIES HAVE THIS KIND OF PEOPLE. And it’s not the Filipinos who are lazy, it’s the fucking government so don’t blame all the Filipinos for not getting your driver’s license in two weeks instead of 3 days.
2. We don’t think that all foreigners are rich. We think that their countries itself are rich.
3. Maybe, you’re a slow learner that you’re not even able to learn Tagalog that’s why you called it annoying. Not to mention you’ve been living in the Philippines for FIVE YEARS and you couldn’t even cite a better example of our language. BOBO KA KASI. TANGA PA. TAGALOG ISN’T ANNOYING. YOU ARE ANNOYING.
4. OMFG. I can’t think of a better way to explain this. Sure, you must’ve heard a lot about Filipina women marrying foreigners but they don’t usually marry them because they’re rich. It’s because they love them. Sure, some of the Filipinos are gold-diggers and we ca...
Filipinos are a froud peoples pram da Pillippine Islands.
Day lub to eat rice wit ebryting. You can useually see about tree big bags ob rice in der shopping carts at da commissary. Some popular Filipino poods are adobo, pancit, lichon, loompya, bagoon, and alamang, just to name a pew.
Day are a bery sociable people and lub to hab farties. Many Americans lub to attend a Filipino farty because day know how to hab pun, i.e., day sing karaoke, lap out loud, and drink San Miguel beer wit der baloot.
Many Flipinos hab beautupul houses. Day all hab pianos, eben ip no one really knows how to play it. Day like to decorate der houses wit Capodimonte and total grupings prum Home Interiors. You can also pined big wooden spoons and porks in der dining rooms along wit a big pikture ob da last supper.
Most Filipinos are upper middle class. Day know how to budget der money and make lots ob sacripices like staying in da Naby por 20 years so day can get a retirement.
Da paborit automobile ob da Filipinos is da Mercedes, Lexus, and Honda Accords.
This is another response to qiuwtp...
Filipinos are amazing people. My girlfriend is Filipino. They have ridiculously delicious food, even though alot of it is really unhealthy. Their language (Tagalog) is one of the more interesting Asian languages, and I am currently trying to learn it. They are good people with good morals. If Filipinos like you, they like you like family. Unconditional love and very caring. English with a Filipino accent is so cool to listen to. Filipinos are beautiful people, generally having dark hair, large foreheads that symbolize great intelligence and personality, very angular and refined features with high cheek bones. I have a Filipina aunt who is smart, funny, and very nice (traits shared by most Filipinos)
Lumpia and Pancit bihon are amazing Filipino foods.
Filipinos are kind and accepting.
Tagalog is a language that rivals my own native language of Greek.
Greeks love Filipinos, because both races are hella awesome
People who hail from a group of 7000+ islands in Southeast Asia called the Republic of the Philippines.more...
Are considered Asians due to geographical location, yet Pacific Islanders due to cultural characteristics.
Though there are MANY stereotypes such as: short, lazy, rice-lovers, flat-nosed, poor, rich, cocky, etc. Don't believe what you hear or instantly think it is the truth. Just like any other race, there are short people, tall people, dark-skinned, lighter-toned, smaller eyed, big eyed, lazy, hard-working, rich, poor, middle class. They are just like any other race when it comes to characteristics. The Filipinos in america are stereotyped as "ballers" and "gangsters". But like any other race, there are people who dress different ways! Just because a Filipino wears Nike dunks doesn't mean they all do! (Not that that's a bad thing). But, people need to STOP discriminating and hating on them, or anyone else for that matter. They're just people, and should be treated as such.
Just people a lot of Filipinos are "flat nosed", doesn't mean ALL of them are. And just because a lot of them are short, again, doesn't mean ALL of them are. I'm just trying to make a point not to stereotype people. It's not nice.
Filipinos have a rich culture that is very family oriented. We all love and care for one another, and have a huge amount of respect for our elders. There are a few customs and greetings that would show a sign of respect upon meeting someone, such as a "mano" which is whe...
The Mexicans of Asia. end.
Guy1: Hey, are you Mexican?
Guy2: No, I'm Filipino.
People originating from the Philippine Islands.
I am a filipino!