Feminism can be divided into two categories:
1. Human rights feminism. This is feminism which advocates for equal rights and opportunities to be available to women in the law and government. This is based upon the basic right that no one deserves to be unfairly treated by the courts or lose their personal rights. It defends the rights to property, voting, and civil liberties. This type of feminism occurred in America in the 1900s and was one of the more mainstream feminism ideologies in the 60s 70s but has since given way to more modern forms of feminism in America, although it is beginning to occur in many theocracies.
2. Modern feminism. This is the radically politically correct form of feminism. It encourages the idea that both the male and female gender are either equal (or can be equal) in every possible way or the female gender is inherently superior. Many modern feminists argue that women are more intelligent than men, ignoring factual and scientific evidence. They ignore the fact that the female brain is considerably smaller than the male’s in both volume, weight, and brain cell content. They also “overlook” the fact that there have been no great female artists and few great female scientists. They use a “one or two” approach in PC rallies, using the few great female scientists such as Elizabeth Blackwell and small time artists as poster girls for their cause of female superiority. They ignore the larger ratio of male scientists and artists and brand their opponents as sexists (the politicians with the fundamentalists).
Modern feminism also encourages the idea that loose women should be as respectable and admirable as womanizers. They attempt to back this idea and stifle their insecurities by claiming the female orgasm is superior to the male’s. Despite these claims, scientific and societal evidence has proved otherwise, as women do not orgasm as often as males nor is their orgasm as fulfilling as the male’s, as proven by polls and pop culture and that women have traditionally been the providers of the pleasure in intercourse and men the receivers (as proven by 5000 years of culture and 500 million years of evolution). It is overall degrading to women because its PC approach advocates a positive handicap for women in careers and society, and that women should act unnaturally and attempt to completely ignore their instincts. While human rights feminism is based upon factual evidence, modern feminism is based upon bigotry and “literature.”
1. Human rights feminism: women advocating for the right to drive in Saudi Arabia; Women demanding the right to vote in 19th- early 20th century America.
2. Modern feminism: 3rd wave feminists claiming that stripping is empowering for women; Feminists trying to reverse gender roles in marriage; Feminists claiming that the average female is more intelligent than the average male.
The belief that women are and should be treated as potential intellectual equals and social equals to men. These people can be either male or female human beings, although the ideology is commonly (and perhaps falsely) associated mainly with women.
The basic idea of Feminism revolves around the principle that just because human bodies are designed to perform certain procreative functions, biological elements need not dictate intellectual and social functions, capabilities, and rights.
Feminism also, by its nature, embraces the belief that all people are entitled to freedom and liberty within reason--including equal civil rights--and that discrimination should not be made based on gender, sexual orientation, skin color, ethnicity, religion, culture, or lifestyle.
Feminists--and all persons interested in civil equality and intellectuality--are dedicated to fighting the ignorance that says people are controlled by and limited to their biology.
Feminism is the belief that all people are entitled to the same civil rights and liberties and can be intellectual equals regardless of gender. However, you should still hold the door for a feminist; this is known as respect or politeness and need have nothing whatever to do with gender discrimination.
Feminism is a political, social, and cultural movement that aims at equal rights for women. Its beginnings and extreme controversy in a (Western) patriarchal society has created stigma and stereotypes associated with the definition. Some include that feminists are:
Feminism helped women get the vote, obtain equal rights for jobs, made laws to control domestic violence, help women obtain the rights to own property, to divorce, to have access to birth control and to have possession of their own bodies.
Feminism is still needed in today's society. One can see this through the other versions of this definition.
Man = Woman, no more, no less. Women were, and in social aspects, still are, treated as inferior.
Sexism began as early as Aristotle, who claimed that women were 'imperfect' men since they did not contain a penis on their persons.
To be superior, one must make something inferior. I am sure this definition will get many 'thumbs down', but it is the truth.
I am a wo-man and I am a feminist.
"I am a feminist"
"So you hate men?"
"No...I think women should have equal rights as men"
"WTF YOU SLAG CUNT FACED-BITCH"
"...I still believe in feminism."
the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes*.
Feminism is about equality. Men and women pay the same in college tuition costs. It doesn't make sense that once we leave college and get the same job that women should make 75-cents for every dollar men make*.
*from U.S. Census Bureau
an ideology that focuses on woman being treated as equals to men. There is no sexism in this concept- because we live in a patriarchal society, males are automatically given a superior position. calling feminism sexist is also ignoring centuries of history where men have oppressed women.
a common misconception about feminism is that one is supporting woman's equality but opposing man's. This is not true. Supporting something like gay rights doesn't mean you're against a straight person's rights, and the same goes for feminism in terms of equality between the sexes.
I refused to receive a higher pay check than my male co-worker for doing the same amount of work because i support feminism.
I refused to receive a higher pay check than my female co-worker for doing the same amount of work because i support feminism.
1. The right to choose in a non-oppressive society that is free of societal hierarchies.
2. A movement to end sexist oppression as well as domination relations. This does not only aim to make women equal to men, but all people equal to each other in rights. It is one gear in the bigger machine of human rights.
3. A movement to recognize and work to end the oppression of women in any form.
4. An examination of sexism with the intent to end it.
5. A movement for social justice with an emphasis on gender.
Feminism is a movement for social justice and human rights.
First of all i want to say that most of the entries on feminism are disrespectful and infuriating. The arguement that feminism states that women are better than men was created and is sustained by insecure men who are afraid of patriarchy tumbling down on their priveledged ignorant heads. WAKE UP people and look around you. all those "examples" of brain size, decreased male entry into college, etc are just excuses to either degrade women or only superficially examine the issues of gender equality.
1.)respecting people of all genders (recognizing the diversity in sexuality, from homosexuals, transgendered, heterosexuals and transexuals) as human beings that deserve to be treated with respect.
2.) recognizing the past inequalities that have historically denied women access to many social, economic and political spheres that are mostly occupied by men.
3.)Recognizing the result of these inequalities have lasting impacts today
respecting a person enough to ask their consent before having sex
not seeing a woman as an object but as a human being, this means making eye contact not checking out her body
listening to women (and men of course) respectfully as you would men
if you are a heterosexual straight white male, check your priveledge when talking about equality and recognize other people's experience as valid instead of monopolizing experiences relating to gender equality
feminism is RESPECT
A wonderful ideology that depraved misogynists love to hate.
"the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes" --- merriam webster dictionary
Those who oppose feminism by default agree with misogyny and sexism (see other definitions of feminism)