1. any means of preventing food from entering one's body (including, but not limited to, choosing to eat a raw-only, macrobiotic diet that essentially excludes any foods found in a local grocery store, taking pills for her/his depression which decrease appetite, piercing one's mouth shut with upper and lower labret piercings) such that one's weight never exceeds 90 pounds (for boys it should be under 75)
2. wearing "skinny" fashion jeans that inhibit proper walking by making knee bending an ambitious activity to attempt
3. for guys, their shirts should ALWAYS be too small to fit their girlfriend, or the guy they are fucking on the side
4. emo hair is KEY!: fashion mullets, side parting the hair to the point that specially formulated adhesive glue is required to keep the hair to one side, and fashion rat tails make up the general choices
5. hair must be black or so blonde that it is indistinguishable from white.
6. must drive a vespa (or a car so small that only you and your skinniest friend can fit)
7. wrist bands are also necessary to cover up the so-called "suicide attempt" scars
8. must be in/have been in a band at some point. lyrics must discuss only those topics which make the listener want to kill his/herself.
9. black rimmed glasses or fashion contacts are necessary. if no actual vision problem is present, one emo kid must purposefully hurt the other emo kids vision so a prescription for said glasses can be obtained.
10. must be able to whine incessantly about how much she/he hates her/his life and discuss how hard it is living in their parents' house, eating their parents' food and using their parents' money to buy their emo clothes and band equipment. hating their parents' for being "soooo strict" is also part of the emo code of conduct.
11. writing "lyrics" (suicide notes) during class, in a dark bedroom, or under willow trees on windy days must be done often to prevent any distance from forming between said individual and their soul.
12. sex is NOT an option if you are emo. rubbing your naked bones against anothers' while crying and whispering that this is the "closest you've ever been to someone" is now your version of sex if you are emo.
13. if you don't have a MYSPACE, just give up now, becuase you will NEVER make it in the world of emocity. get a myspace, take 31563486 pictures of yourself in your bedroom (with your $500 digital camera that your parents bought you) and try to look AS SAD AS POSSIBLE! ABSOLUTELY NO SMILING IS ALLOWED! place witty captions under the photo that discuss how "awkward" or "weird" you look in the photo. discard the 31563485 other pictures that were ACTUALLY bad and never speak of them again. pictures taken of yourself from above or in your bathroom mirror are a good start.
14. on the off chance that you ever experience a good time in your life, NEVER show it! this would totally wreck your emo cred that has taken lots of good time to build in the scene!! it's a hard crawl to the top of that emo ladder. just train yourself to sigh and say "god i'm depressed about my girlfriend leaving me" everytime you're about to smile or laugh.
15. talk about how no one understands you (or your friends) but NEVER let anyone who does not fit the emo rules listed above into your group. this would be detrimental to your cred.
16. KILL YOURSELF.
in the bad mode
too many of them
emo kid 2
ANNOYING EMO KID: those kids who regularly max out daddy's credit card at hot topic and tell everyone how depressed they are and that they cut their arms up every night wanting to die (ok...where are the scars?). they only listen to 'underground' bands adn immediately stop when someone they think is popular or preppy starts to listen to them, or they see them on mtv (which they claim never to watch, but they still do). they intentionally do stupid and rebellious things trying to make authority figures mad, thinking it's cool. these people are attention-craving, tasteless, abnoxious emo kids. anything popular is completely disregarded to them. they also tell ppl that they think drugs are sooooooooooo cool, but are scared to do them, but do them anyway because they think it'll make them cool
ANNOYING EMO KID: the guy who draws on a bruise to make ppl think his dad hits him and who only talks to other ANNOYING EMO KIDS
What is the point of my life?
I hate everything.
TRUE EMO KID was most likely emo before this was a stupid fad. May shop at hot topic, but only if they actually like the clothing, not because they think it will make them look cool. Probably classified by friends and others as "emo"...the label is often not self-professed in the case of the true emo kid. Doesn't give a shit whether music is mainstream or not...it just has to be artistic.
2) The style of clothing stereotypically worn by fans of emo music. This consists of, in general: tight band t-shirts or vintage 80's t-shirts, longer (messy) hair often died black, tight (usual girl's) pants, shoes by Vans or Converse, messenger bags, anything checkered (usually black-and-white or black-and-pink), studded belts, thick-framed glasses, neckties, etc.
(Note: girl emo kids often cut their hair short in the back and angled down in the front, less often died black)
3) The mood that stereotypically displays being an emo kid. They are generally considered the subculture of high-school, and while sometimes referred to as manic depressive or "cutters," are usually quite social. Very romantic, often downtrodden. More realistically, teenagers who listen to heavy music and have no qualms with displaying their emotions. (ie, don't feel the need to prove themselves as "bad-@$$," like many rock fans.)
See also: punk, emo