1. 1964, UCLA 98- Duke 83
2. 1968, UCLA 78- UNC 55
* They also defeated ( UK ) Kentucky in 1975. It was the last game coached by John Wooden who won 10 titles in 12 years.
The 1966 National Championship game has been described as the game that changed college basketball. It was the only National Championship not won by UCLA during it's 10 year run. This was also the first time that 5 starting black players ( Texas Western now UTEP, U. of Texas El Paso ) played 5 starting white players ( UK ). The game was won bY Texas Western 72-65. This game is credited for opening the door for black high school stars to be recruited by major white college programs who were reluctant in the past. The ( DUNK )was banned by the NCAA in 1967, the year that Lew Alcindor ( Kareem Abdul Jabbar ) was to start play as a sophmore at UCLA. The ( DUNK ) was allowed back into college basketball in 1976. The last year a Div.1 program ( IU )has gone undefeated for an entire season.
1. Mike Krzyzewski-66( Duke ), 66-18
2. Dean Smith-65 ( UNC ), 65-27
3. John Wooden-47 ( UCLA ), 47-10
They are also the top 3 coaches in Final Four appearances.
1. John Wooden ( UCLA )- 12
2. Deam Smith ( UNC )-11
3. Mike Krzyzewski ( Duke )-10
Adolph Rupp ( UK ) is tied for 4th with 6 with Denny Crum ( U. of Louisville ). Crum an assistant coach with John Wooden at ( UCLA ).
1990, UNLV 103- Duke 73
1991, Duke 72- Kansas ( KU ) 65
1992, Duke 71- Michigan 51
1993, N.Carolina ( UNC ) 77- Michigan 71
1994, Arkansas 76- Duke 72
1995, UCLA 89- Arkansas 78
1996, Kentucky ( UK )76- Syracuse 67
1997, Arizona 84- Kentucky ( UK ) 79,OT
1998, Kentucky 78 ( UK )- Utah 69
1999, Connecticut 77- Duke 74
* UNLV won by the largest margin ever in NCAA Championship history ( 30 ). They are also the only team to score more than 100 points in a Champioship game. Duke got revenge against UNLV the next year in the 1991 semi-final and went on to win the 1991 NCAA Championship. They won it again in 1992 being the first team to repeat as National Champion since the 1972 and 73 UCLA Bruins.
( 6 ) Kareem Abdul Jabbar ( UCLA ) 1971 ( Alcindor ), 1972, 74, 76, 77, and 80.
( 5 ) Michael Jordan ( UNC ) 1988, 1991, 1992, 1996, and 1998.
( 4 ) Wilt Chamberlain ( KU ) 1960, 1966-68.
( 1 ) Bob McAdoo ( UNC ) 1975.
( 1 ) Bill Walton ( UCLA ) 1978.
From 1974-78 a Phat 5 player won the NBA MVP award 5 consecutive years. Jabbar, 1974, 76, and 77, McAdoo, 1975, and Walton, 1978.
D- extra D, defense wins Championships
U- U in the UK-( Kentucky )
N- N in the UNC-( N.Carolina )
K- K in the KU-( Kansas )
CLA- in the UCLA-( UCLA )
DE- DE in the DUKE-( Duke )
I- I in the IU-( Indiana ),#6 All-Time
The D U N K A D E L I C, term also has the name of the number one shoe maker in the world in it's name( NIKE ).